Is this *really* accurate?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Absolutely. Not really a "weapon" more of a Method.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I personally find it stress reducing - but have sailed with others your afraid are going to have a stroke any second, and never relax -

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am anchored off the Indiana Dunes Lakeshore on Lake Michigan, streaming the Notre Dame football game on my laptop and enjoying a fantastic weekend. So yes, I think it is stress relieving !

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
My blood pressure drops 20 points every time I'm on my boat - sailing or just working on it!

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
Yes, except for a few weeks ago, I was backing into my slip when a gust caught me and blew me into my neighbors boat. Caught my starboard shrouds on his anchor on the bow. I pushed us of. with no damage, but my blood pressure went way up/

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I ask this because I'm not sure if it's true for me or not. I *love* sailing. It's certainly my absolute favorite form of boating. My family owns a pontoon boat, in fact a very nice one, but I find it to be boring. As much as I love sailing, I don't find it to be particularly stress-free. I find it fun and exhilarating. It is certainly a lot of work. It is work that I would rather do than sit behind the wheel of a pontoon boat. But I can't honestly say that it is a weapon of stress reduction.

I guess I'm just sort of wondering if other people feel the same way. Maybe this would be a good question for the weekly poll sometime.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
@Kermit , I find sailing to be very stress-relieving, even when things start to go south. Get the boat safe, figure out what's wrong, then fix. I put 126NM under the keel over the past three days - all solo. I'm not stressed in the least.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I think the original Tee shirt definition of stress was "not being able to choke the living $4it out of some a$$hole that dearly deserves it". But I think we have a picture in our heads of how everything should go, including sailing, and any variation from the picture causes stress. I like sailing, it keeps you thinking and moving and it is sometimes still stressful. It's usually only a couple of minutes that are few and far between but I would opt for the worst sailing day I've had over any day at work.

Oct 22, 2014
Getting hit by a fishing boat doing 25 mph out of the fog was stressful.
Cruising across the Juan de Fuca strait as calm as glass was therapeutically relaxing.
I guess it is about the experience.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Cruising across the Juan de Fuca strait as calm as glass was therapeutically relaxing.
That just goes to show it's a bit different for everyone. I absolutely hate the endless "buck, buck, buck" of the diesel, when between the mainland and Vancouver Island in calm weather. It's like being in a power boat but dragged out over a longer period. Boredom to the extreme.
Give me early spring and fall along the pacific northwest any day. Less traffic, more wind. In general, it's people that I find stressful/annoying, whether they are running into you, or making a peaceful anchorage noisy.
But...there have been times when the weather has made me wish for a bit of boredom.
I guess the real answer.... as you say... is... it depends. :)

Oct 22, 2014
Depends..... these events both happened on the same day.