Is there a west coast version of "Marine Diesel Parts?"

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Honestly, the last time I bought parts for my 2GM20F Yanmar, I walked into a tiny hole in the wall office on Shelter Island in San Diego and the guy just happened to have the parts right there... but now that is a damn long drive away. And I am running out of spares. :yikes:

http://marinedieselparts.com/store/yanmar.htm seems to have everything well organized and on line... but they have a limited sales area...

I suppose Montana is close, eh? GRIN

"We may only ship our Yanmar products to the following locations:"
  • Bermuda
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Kansas
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin

genec

Dec 30, 2010
They are probably just like the hole in the wall place I used to use in San Diego. Not online, not convenient for ordering parts.... hope "the guy is in... sort of thing." I just sent messages to two Washington State "dealers," one of which I know for sure doesn't really have the parts... so they will of course have to order them.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
FWIW Bosun's (I don't care how THEY pronounce it) was the supplier of Perkins and Yanmar (maybe others) engines to Catalina and other builders, when they built boats in California. Everyplace I've gotten Yanmar parts in S. Calif. ordered them from Bosun's.
I usually go in because I'm close most stuff is a case of "part #123456789, superseded by part #987654321, superseded by part #3 etc. etc.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Captain's Locker in Long Beach is also a good source.
What they don't have on hand, they order from Bosun's Locker. If you need it now, it's faster to just go to Costa Mesa where Bosun's is, rather than wait for CL to get it for you in Long Beach. I say that knowing, of course, that traffic is always difficult during regular hours between Long Beach and the Newport Beach area. But, they do have the parts there, generally.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I've found Captain's Locker to have a good inventory and when they do order something it arrives quickly. I have purchased from Bosun's Locker as well.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I wish these West coast chandleries had websites rivaling Marine Diesel Parts' website.

That, or my web skillz need honing.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
What's also good about Bosun's Locker; there is a repair/service shop right next to the parts store. So, you might call for service and they'll bring the parts with 'em, etc. Don't have to order.

By the way, I just remembered these guys at C.C. Marine Service in Marina del Rey. They've helped me before as well. This might be the West Coast analog the OP asked about.

http://www.ccmarine.biz/

Last edited:

genec

Dec 30, 2010
What's also good about Bosun's Locker; there is a repair/service shop right next to the parts store. So, you might call for service and they'll bring the parts with 'em, etc. Don't have to order.

By the way, I just remembered these guys at C.C. Marine Service in Marina del Rey. They've helped me before as well. This might be the West Coast analog the OP asked about.

http://www.ccmarine.biz/
If you have to call the place, to make the order... then no, it is not like that.
http://marinedieselparts.com/store/yanmar.htm is more like ordering parts from Amazon... you merely click on "Yanmar," then click on your engine model number, then you get a list of parts, with prices... click on the item and quantity, and then finish shopping and then the parts are on the way.

Looks like this for my Yanmar stuff...

Every other "Yanmar dealer" I have looked up, or used, on the west coast requires either a visit or a phone call... no one seems to offer a point and click easy shopping web page like "Marine Diesel," who cannot sell to the west coast.

I had two queries out for parts to local Seattle based "dealers;" one only had oil filters (really?, no impellers?) and the other had it all in stock, but had to look up each part number... So as best as I can tell, there is no point and click buying experience available on the west coast for Yanmar parts.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If you have to call the place, to make the order... then no, it is not like that... So as best as I can tell, there is no point and click buying experience available on the west coast for Yanmar parts.
Exactly.