Is it worth getting a folding steering wheel for 310?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The best size of wheel for you will depend to some extent on your intended use of the boat. If you plan to race, as some people often do, then the ability to be further from boat center-line while steering can be a big advantage. If you are strictly a cruiser, who flies limited canvas, sails casually, & isn't trying to squeeze out all the possible performance, but often hosts a lot of guests & feels pinched for having enough space on a regular basis, then a smaller wheel may be a better choice for you.

Mechanical advantage can be gleaned from a change in gear ratios as well as a change in wheel diameter.

Cost is always a consideration for most of us.

Each wheel has it's advantages & disadvantages. You need to consider the trade offs & pick what will fit your needs the best.

Folding wheels are quick & easy. Removable wheels require a little more work, but provide the most possible space. Smaller solid wheels are less expensive than folders & give you one less moving part to worry about failing.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
... What formula is used to determine the correct size wheel anyway?
That is a bit of a loaded question. A lot of things come into play. It starts with how much helm the boat has under different conditions & that depends heavily on the sail plan. The next thing to look at is the torque capacity of the driveline components between the rudder post & the wheel. You then need to consider the strength of the person who is likely to be spinning the wheel. After you have that information, you can look at the available gear ratios & start to play with a few numbers. I am not aware of the existence of a single one-size-fits-all formula.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
A local machine shop can probably make an adapter, or else a new shaft to replace the one with the taper.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I've got that and use it some. Unfortunately I have to remove the autopilot drive power cable to pull the wheel off, and the weather cover on the plug has fallen apart. On my list for fixing. But it does get the wheel out of the cockpit nicely.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I
We have the Lewmar folding wheel on Maxine and it is great. Only thing I would say is that when the wheel is folded, the joints protrude with a sharp point. One night drinking beer on the hook a friend nearly jabbed himself in the eye on the upper joint. After that I had a custom padded cover made to cover and cushion the joints.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've got that and use it some. Unfortunately I have to remove the autopilot drive power cable to pull the wheel off, and the weather cover on the plug has fallen apart. On my list for fixing. But it does get the wheel out of the cockpit nicely.
I plan to get one for my C30, mainly because I need a new nut anyway. I currently have a plastic nut which is stripped. Now is a good time as I plan to use it while the boat is on the hard this winter. Probably won't use it as much in the water for the reason @marchem mentions, disconnecting/connecting the AP. Still undecided if I will just get the nut or rail mount and nut package.
Attached is a photo of the Edson brochure I picked up at the show.
IMG_2671.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I plan to get one for my C30, mainly because I need a new nut anyway. I currently have a plastic nut which is stripped. Now is a good time as I plan to use it while the boat is on the hard this winter. Probably won't use it as much in the water for the reason @marchem mentions, disconnecting/connecting the AP. Still undecided if I will just get the nut or rail mount and nut package.
View attachment 157273
and therein lies the problem, the AP motor has a connector that isn't exactly made for a lot of cycles.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I plan to get one for my C30, mainly for use while the boat is on the hard this winter. Probably won't use it as much in the water for the reason @marchem mentions, disconnecting/connecting the AP. Still undecided if I will just get the nut or rail mount and nut package.
View attachment 157273
I tracked down the Raymarine part # for the power cable and bought a new one. No easy way to just replace the hood, so I'll put a terminal strip in the engine pod and cut the cable.