Is it optional for a sailor to drink Beer?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Defection is always an option.
If it helps encourage such an idea.. weed is legal in October ;)
(Not sure if that is a good thing, but thank god i'm not a residential landlord)

If he does defect, I suggest doing it in summer. As opposed to losing appendages to the cold.

I think I need to put Lake Winnipeg on my bucket list.:biggrin:
Weird lake to sail on actually. Huge, shallow, very few sheltered harbours. High turnover in boats due to neophytes scaring the crap out of themselves. Maybe that's why i'm building a bigger cooler. ;)

Not sure if it will hold beer.. or steaks... :D

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Not unlike the premise of Wabamun. You flip the boat, no big deal, hop off and walk to shore. :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
(Rum by law i believe is mandatory.)
I think it is the navy that is mandated to supply, not the sailor who is mandated to imbibe.
So, that leaves me with the question, who's writing the laws for seafaring? I'm not objecting, just curious.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Beer, rum and wine. Humbug!
Good old peach brandy made in a copper still is one way to go. Us hillbillies would call that moonshine or white lightening. Called torpedo juice on tin cans for the real swabbies and the tin can is a sub. Is a sub for a sandwich or submarine? When drinking my moonshine, the best part was the pickled peaches

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Beer is OK at the beach or a ball game, but at anchor with the sun setting there is nothing better than a single malt over an ice cube to sooth the soul and swell the heart. My 97-year-old mother sips a scotch every night.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A wise woman.

Now that the ice making machine eBay diabolical is over, how do you get that perfect ice cube for the sunset sip.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
A wise woman.

Now that the ice making machine eBay diabolical is over, how do you get that perfect ice cube for the sunset sip.
I'm still mad as hell about that. Thought I had found a great deal.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
re Perfect ice cube. We cruise with a friend who has a Mainship 43 with an ice maker. Makes 22lbs/day but he makes special round ones for me and my Scotch.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Beer is OK at the beach or a ball game, but at anchor with the sun setting there is nothing better than a single malt over an ice cube to sooth the soul and swell the heart.
A month ago I would have vehemently disagreed with you.

I never could understand why people drank scotch.
Due to the age of most people who drank it, I figured their tastebuds had aged too much/entropy

2 weeks ago a buddy at the local music fest offered me some Vat 69 (bottled in 1967). It wasn't too bad.

Not as good as FWI Rum, or nice wine, but not bad. Though, I sure as heck wouldn't pay $400 for a bottle of the Vat 69. I'd have sold it and bought $400 of craft beer, or a couple cases of Guayabita del Pinar.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

Due to the age of most people who drank it, I figured their tastebuds had aged too much/entropy

2 weeks ago a buddy at the local music fest offered me some Vat 69 (bottled in 1967). It wasn't too bad.

Not as good as FWI Rum, or nice wine, but not bad. Though, I sure as heck wouldn't pay $400 for a bottle of the Vat 69. I'd have sold it and bought $400 of craft beer, or a couple cases of Guayabita del Pinar.
Hmmm.
Different strokes for different folks.

Btw scotch has less of the ketones that cause hangovers. Sooooo if tying one on is your goal .... and you also need to go into the office the next day......

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

Hmmm.
Different strokes for different folks.

Btw scotch has less of the ketones that cause hangovers. Sooooo if tying one on is your goal .... and you also need to go into the office the next day......

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Good thing some of us work from home, and the “network” doesn’t always support video on calls.