Is it optional for a sailor to drink Beer?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip. That is way COOL. Is it AC or DC driven. If DC how expensive is it to run (amp Hours)?
I am intrigued.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Chip. That is way COOL. Is it AC or DC driven. If DC how expensive is it to run (amp Hours)?
I am intrigued.
AC powered, but only 120W so I should be able to run it on the inverter for long enough to make cocktail ice anywhere I anchor. Plus, if I am at a marina with power, 26 LBS a day should help keep the icebox full. For $15.99 & FREE Shipping I couldn't pass it up.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That is why I just ordered one of these.
View attachment 153850
Igloo Compact Countertop Ice Cube Maker - Choose Your Color $15.99

Product Features
  1. Compact Ice Maker in Stainless Steel
  2. Enjoy a batch of ice in as little as 6 minutes
  3. Produces 26lbs of ice per day in choice of 2 ice sizes
  4. Stores up to 1.5 lbs of ice at a time
  5. 2.3 Quart Reservoir with Electronic LED Controls
Dimensions:
  • Product Depth (in.): 15" Inches
  • Product Height (in.): 14.5" Inches
  • Product Width (in.): 11.25" Inches
Always have Ice for the Dark and Stormies.
If you have AC power, then anything is possible!!

Oct 22, 2014
So where did you get it?

Oooops. All I needed to do was click the link...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
AC powered, but only 120W so I should be able to run it on the inverter for long enough to make cocktail ice anywhere I anchor. Plus, if I am at a marina with power, 26 LBS a day should help keep the icebox full. For $15.99 & FREE Shipping I couldn't pass it up.
It's interesting. It will probably draw 15A from your 12v supply through the inverter, but if it can make a batch in 6 minutes (like it says) it will be OK. But that time probably factors the machine being very cold to start. But I like it.

Oct 22, 2014
Tell us how it works out... Walmart sells the same thing for $79... that is a steal price..

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
It's interesting. It will probably draw 15A from your 12v supply through the inverter, but if it can make a batch in 6 minutes (like it says) it will be OK. But that time probably factors the machine being very cold to start. But I like it.
If it draws too much on the battery alone, I can always run it when the diesel is on.

Oct 22, 2014
Fun Song Will.
Carrying on in my quest for enlightenment...

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.” Paul Horning

"24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case.Coincidence? I think not!”H. L. Mencken

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
$16 ? and with a compressor ? Hmmm I need to take one apart.
I've been considering building a heavily insulated, wood ice box to replace the cooler/step in the boat.
I picked up a pelltier plate based wine cooler for $2 used, with the intent of possibly using it with the icebox.
That compressor sounds intriguing.

Must drink beer and consider this...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Pateco,
Thanks for the link. I just purchased an icemaker also. I don't get it, $15.99 including shipping; too good to be true! But for 15.99 I will give it a try. Igloo compacts are approximately $115. on Amazon. Didn't see where the $15 units were refurbished. Probably a cheap knockoff, but what the hell. Will report back once I make my first batch!!

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Just tried to order one. Ad said it was the last one. Yeah, right! Anyway, couldn't get my Paypal account to accept this and they don't ship to my area, anyway. Probably just saved myself $15.99.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Too good of a deal to be true! Just got an email from EBay; apparently the seller's account was hijacked by a third party to list the item. Transaction was cancelled. So, If you really want an icemaker you're going to have to shell out a lot more than $15.99!!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Still... the simple fact that it's compressor based.... found a video of the interior of one.. looks very hackable.
Even $65 to 100 wold be a good deal i figure.

Then again.. it could be the coronas and limes thinking.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Just tried to order one. Ad said it was the last one. Yeah, right! Anyway, couldn't get my Paypal account to accept this and they don't ship to my area, anyway. Probably just saved myself $15.99.
Son of a biscuit. I just went to check my shipping status on this order, and got this.
bad order.JPG

Now the cheapest I can find is $70. CRUD!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Very mixed reviews on this Igloo ice maker thing. Everybody consistently says the ice is wet and the storage container (obviously) is not a freezer, so the ice is melting as soon as it is made. It works better when it is cooler to begin with (after it is running for awhile). About half the reviews say that the thing breaks down and stops working in a relatively short time period. Returning a broken one is a pain. It is best used when ice is put into a cooler relatively quickly. If you transfer ice into a freezer, the ice cubes re-freeze into a block. Lot's of people solve this problem by transferring ice into ziplock bags that they can bang on the counter to release individual cubes after they have re-frozen together. Organic growth is a problem when it is stored, so getting it completely dry before storage is imperative.

I'm guessing that it would be a crapshoot if it is good or bad - especially in a boating environment. There is probably a better than even chance that you might get a few uses out of it before it gets disposed. If you can throw away $100 casually, it might be worth a try! Most of the positive reviews were written as soon as the machine was used right out of the box … in a home environment.

Oct 22, 2014
I think I know the problem with the phantom ice maker... It was a GLOOI not an IGLOO. Errant marketing. :biggrin:
Too bad.

Oct 22, 2014
More beer thoughts... need more beer so I will stop thinking....

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, But the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.” Dave Barry

And on final thought....

“To some it is a six-pack. To me, it is a Support Group. Salvation in a can.”Leo Durocher