Is it ever OK to see smoke coming from the alternator ...

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully reinstalled the smoke without considerable expense.

It takes specialized, wizard like training and involves numerous magical talismans, but in many cases the smoke can be reinstalled. Sometimes it's cheaper to replace the cursed device though.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yep! That's what I need. Smoke replacement.
Someone up in Canada has a lot of time on their hands.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Someone up in Canada has a lot of time on their hands.
It has been dark up there for the past 4 months. All the ladies are finished with IT. So time and there hands is all that is left. That and British sports cars that are a bit eccentric.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
(Must be one of those English alternaters ...Lucas, the prince of darkness.)

Seriously, How did the alternator accumulate that much corrosion?
After 14 years, mine still looks new. It seems like you have water coming in from somewhere.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well ... I'll have to track that down. I don't have a basis to compare to very many other installations.
I've been looking at the wiring, and wiring diagrams etc. online and it seems pretty straight forward. However there is no "G" terminal (For ground). There is an "E" terminal. I found one diagram that showed the E as another symbol for ground. Can anyone confirm that?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well ... I'll have to track that down. I don't have a basis to compare to very many other installations.
I've been looking at the wiring, and wiring diagrams etc. online and it seems pretty straight forward. However there is no "G" terminal (For ground). There is an "E" terminal. I found one diagram that showed the E as another symbol for ground. Can anyone confirm that?
Sometimes, ground is referred to as Earth. So the E would likely stand for Earth/Ground. I believe this is a British term.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sometimes the alternator uses the ground of the casing attached to the engine. The engine is grounded to the battery. So electrically it works. Not necessarily well but it works.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Okay maybe I ended up catching some of that Lucas smoke last Sunday. Now I know why you're looking at the alternator because that was the title of your first post!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Update: As those of you who said I'd better look for a source of water leaking onto the alternator said, there was a leak. Water was dripping on the alternator from the exhaust manifold and maybe risers. In any event I am quite a bit lighter in the hip area but have a water tight exhaust. It probably was leaking for some time, at least part of last season. The temperature never went over 160 and I was not suspicious of a problem until spring when I decided to trouble shoot a gauge which wasn't working.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I say check all wiring. If, for example, the wiring near the battery connection has corroded to where it is 1/4" or less of its original gauge (i.e. strands broken), a lot of resistance and heat, maybe smoke also will result and it needs to be replaced.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
That is a poster child for corrosion! Those wire connections have problems. The wires are probably corroded internally for an inch.
The whole thing looks wet!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So to wrap up, after a few weeks in the water with the new exhaust system the area under the engine is bone dry. Never has been before so I assume this had been going on for some time - like since I bought the boat.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Don’t let the smoke out! It is very expensive smoke and it has to be imported.

It’s also tough to get the smoke back in..