Registered users don't see ads

Is foam normal?

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by java_monkey, Apr 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. java_monkey

java_monkey

Joined Apr 13, 2018
    7 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    Java Monkey Un San Diego
    I just picked up hull 6954 (1975 vintage) and have begun her dismantle. There's what appears to be some closed cell foam in her port lazerette (under the cockpit) and more foam under the starboard lazerette. It this how the factory shipped the boat? I'd love to tear the foam out if its not structural. Advice? 1523664995814919099360.jpg 15236650414151138760236.jpg

2. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,424 posts, 283 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA SHYC, Lake Winnipeg
    It was added for floatation, not structure.
    We see these every once in a while.
    Not sure if anyone has the definitive answer as to if it is Catalina, Dealer or owners who did this.

3. java_monkey

java_monkey

Joined Apr 13, 2018
    7 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    Java Monkey Un San Diego
    Thanks LR! I'm no engineer but so long as there is air in those spaces her buoyancy will remain the same....if her mast side remains pointed skyward :thumbup:

Gene Neill likes this.
  4. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    976 posts, 152 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Unfortunately, if a boat takes on water, the mast stay vertical (for a long while) as it sinks. I agree someone thought foam would help with buoyancy in the event of "a big problem.

5. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    499 posts, 258 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    keep your laz lids secured and crib boards in place in rough conditions, you'll be floatin' with or without foam in the event of a knockdown...now if you get runover by a powerboat it may help some, but your boat will be toast anyway...

AND, with foam, there is limited space for the Lazarette (trunk) Monkeys to reside...cruel.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  6. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,850 posts, 524 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Back in the day, you could order positive flotation as an option .. many folks did .. more didn't..
    offered some piece of mind for those heeling adverse folks.

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,601 posts, 1,085 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    foam is positively bouyant and keeps water from occupying an area in the event of a swamping to aid in keeping the boat from sinking. However, until the day water actually has access to that area, it takes buoyancy away from the boat by adding weight. Generally, there is not much difference between foam and dead air space, but with foam, over time, the presence of water may be harder to detect. There was just a thread that covered this very subject. I think the conclusion was that in 30 years, foam exposed to water, could lose a third of its buoyancy.
    https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...tation-of-wet-foam.190595/page-4#post-1447321

- Will (Dragonfly)

Leeward Rail likes this.
  8. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,424 posts, 283 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA SHYC, Lake Winnipeg
    Foam deterioration is one reason I'd remove it if it was my boat.
    Questionable when installed. Even more so, decades later, with old foam.

The important thing with the C22 is to keep the forward hatch, and cockpit lockers closed and secured. Especially the cockpit lockers. They can flop open if the boat heels waaay over, and flood the boat. Obviously in rough weather you secure the main hatch.

Foam is goofy in many boats IMO. Want something like that.. buy an ETAP yacht.
    As the titanic demonstrated, it is engaged human brains that best avoid sinking.

Gene Neill likes this.
  9. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,332 posts, 835 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    [​IMG]

10. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    499 posts, 258 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    Gene, LOL, maybe I'll print that and post next to my "keel lockdown bolt warning" sticker!

Gene Neill likes this.
  11. Jacomo Sailor

Jacomo Sailor

Joined Feb 11, 2015
    154 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Lake Jacomo
    Where can I buy the Lazz Monkey button, and where would the optimal mounting location be?

12. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,850 posts, 524 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    It has been my experience that Lazz Monkeys can be found in boatyard bars ! Most of them don't require you to purchase (except for maybe a little rum punch) .. some rent.... :)

Parsons likes this.
  13. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    499 posts, 258 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    I find it crucial to review all potential safety issues with new crew and guests, vhf operation, MOB drill, knockdown procedures, fire extinguisher and life jacket locations, and most importantly a prudent discussion on how to best deal with Lazarette Monkeys, should they enter the cabin space....especially on a <86 model where they have unfettered cabin access...

Gene Neill and Will Gilmore like this.
  14. watercolors II

watercolors II

Joined Dec 23, 2008
    740 posts, 25 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Central Penna.
    For years the second most popular trailer boat was Required to have the foam installed, so they used it as a great selling point. Unfortunately the original owners of this Catalina fell for the additional safety features of installed foam from the dealership.

15. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,332 posts, 835 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    Would that be a Mac 26?

16. java_monkey

java_monkey

Joined Apr 13, 2018
    7 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    Java Monkey Un San Diego
    What a wealth of knowledgeable and often humorous replies....thank y'all so so much. I've concluded that the foam is likely to cause more issues than it solves. I'll pop it out of the lazerette this week.....as much as i love the stink of moldy wet foam its gotta go.

Parsons, rpludwig and Gene Neill like this.
  17. pclarksurf

pclarksurf

Joined Jul 13, 2015
    467 posts, 200 likes
    Catalina 22 #2552
    US Kennewick, WA
    I can guarantee it’s not structural — my ‘73 is identical and was sans foam from the factory. I ripped out my deteriorated cockpit sole and the entirety of the sole is supported from above and does not rely on your foam plug. Nuke it

E9E90D6A-993A-4026-8289-83CE9969305A.jpeg

greg_m likes this.
  18. java_monkey

java_monkey

Joined Apr 13, 2018
    7 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    Java Monkey Un San Diego
    Would you look at all that space! I bet I could find some way to get my inflatable dinghy in there.....or a weeks supply of dark & stormies!

Parsons likes this.
  19. pclarksurf

pclarksurf

Joined Jul 13, 2015
    467 posts, 200 likes
    Catalina 22 #2552
    US Kennewick, WA
    Definitely dink worthy— tends to be the low spot aft, but if you’re not leaking mine stays dry. Forgot i had a shot with the floor out:

73366CA1-AE71-4056-A2C8-7F1AE9C01722.jpeg

greg_m likes this.
  20. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,332 posts, 835 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    Excellent pics, they really show the vastness that space!

Can someone refresh my memory about the starboard side? I seem to recall the lazarette opening to reveal a flat shelf, running all the way forward to the berth, with lockers on the bottom for two-story storage, as it were.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!