Is an early 1990s Legend Passage 42 a good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jess1485

Hi all

I have been looking at an early 90s Passage 42, and think she is beautiful, but I don't know if she is the boat for me.

I am a very novice sailor, and my partner and I just want to cruise from port to port in the Med and enjoy life. I am in love with the accommodation and presentation, but I keep being warned of poor performance at sea and poor workmanship.

Any advice/views gratefully received.

Jessica

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"but I keep being warned of poor performance at sea and poor workmanship" .... brought to you by folks who never sailed or cruised in one. Nonsense. Go to the boats tab on top of the page and look for the Passage 42 tab (make sure you are in the correct series) and read the reviews. You can contact some of the owners via that also to ask specific questions. I wound up with a 40.5 but was looking into a 42 as well (when I couldn't find a Vision 36). Having said that, you will need to do the same due diligence as you would with any other boat of that vintage for how you intend to use it. Good luck.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Passage 42

We own a 1991 Passage 42 and love the boat. It is roomy and really sound construction. Systems are easy to get to for the most part and again of decent quality. It is a great liveaboard, especially if you like your wife...the aft full size berth is awesome. Our Sabre required climbing up over and then turning around, so the wife loves this arrangement.

She sails well and motors well, but is a tad large to dock and fuel if you are moving up from something smaller. Even coming from a 38' we are still getting comfortable moving her in and out. We have dutchman on the main and roller furler on the jib. Ours is rigged for staysail, and that takes a bit of practice and motion to get the job over easily.

Quality is subjective, but I have found nothing to support the criticism that some heap upon the Hunter. I have owned a new Beneteau 36CC in the late 90's and the build of the Hunter is as good or better.

Downsides -
at this age systems are going to need repair or replacement. The thruhulls for the engine and gennie are under everything and difficult to get to. Cockpit scuppers drain to the hull in the middle of all the engine trans stuff and they too are hard to service. I would prefer a walkover into the center cockpit from BOTH sides of the boat so you don't have to walk around. A better companionway hatch and lock (from the inside) would be nice.

If you need specifics, email me or post here, would be glad to help

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
More thoughts on performance....
part of my learning is to have the boat in the open, no sails up motor idling, in neutral. Wait for a light wind to see how she sits and then reacts to the wind. My old sabre would lay aside almost parallel to the wind....the Hunter is about 25 degrees to the wind and will sit there all day up to about 10 knots. She is very easy to heave to, and is quite comfortable. Easy to move in light winds and very responsive. I have the 7000 Autopilot and that works well.

Learning point...ours takes at least a length and half to turn, or maybe I am too gentle on the throttle/trans. We do not have a bow thruster. Be aware when in short fairways and have some wind (see above) she wants to turn to, before I am ready.

Still learning

dave

G

Passage 42

Hi Jessica, please check out the 42 Knowledge Base articles that I wrote about our 1991 P42. We've cruised our boat several thousand miles since we took possession of Belle-Vie in 2002 and have no regrets. Our boat came fully equipped from the previous owner with an 8KW Genset, main and aft cabin heat pumps, Autohelm 7000 pilot, electric heads and lots of other systems. I would be happy to share what I know, however, much of it you will find already in the Knowledge Base.

The 42 is fast, stiff, strong and very comfortable. Some here will tell you she takes a boat length to turn. Not so. I can turn Belle-Vie on a dime, literally. She is easy to solo sail, dock, cast off, anchor, etc., since that is what I do 98% of the time, because my admiral has trouble with arthritis, but enjoys being out on the water.

Hunter did a wonderful job designing and building this model. This past season we completed our fourth two month cruise all in PNW waters. I installed a Wallas diesel forced air furnace a few years ago and now we cruise year around in comfort.

Good luck on your venture. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Terry

J

jess1485

Thanks to everyone

Hi all

I am really grateful to you all for the information. It is great to hear from people who know what they are talking about.

I am now at the deliberation stage, but at last I have the info to make a sound decision.

Many thanks again.

Jessica

Dan

Jul 26, 2006
Hunter 420 Stamford
Jessica -

Just so you know, the Passsage 42 has a European CE rating, meaning it's meets standards for open ocean sailing. It's heavier (and less tender) than the newer 420.

Feb 25, 2009
2 42 Sandusky, Ohio
We have had a 1994 P42 for six years. We have sailed it to all five of the Great Lakes. I have never been able to feel any flex in the hull and we have seen some rough weather (60 and 70 mph winds, waves over 12 feet on Lake Erie). The down sides concerning the entrance to the cockpit is one of the few issues we have. We got our home dock with a starboard tie so that is not a problem.

Most of the systems are accessable. Probably the only access problem is the location of the oil filter. I have not been able to get a "clean" oil change because of the filter location. We also have an 8kw generator on the shelf above the main diesel which also acts to restrict the access as well.

I have gone to the Annapolis sailboat show many times and I have yet to see any 42's that I would rather have.

You will not be sorry about this purchase.

G

P42 Fridge

We have had a 1994 P42 for six years. We have sailed it to all five of the Great Lakes. I have never been able to feel any flex in the hull and we have seen some rough weather (60 and 70 mph winds, waves over 12 feet on Lake Erie). The down sides concerning the entrance to the cockpit is one of the few issues we have. We got our home dock with a starboard tie so that is not a problem.

Most of the systems are accessable. Probably the only access problem is the location of the oil filter. I have not been able to get a "clean" oil change because of the filter location. We also have an 8kw generator on the shelf above the main diesel which also acts to restrict the access as well.

I have gone to the Annapolis sailboat show many times and I have yet to see any 42's that I would rather have.

You will not be sorry about this purchase.
Hi Rich, I replace the oil filter on our 1991 P42 every time I change oil. We also have the Onan 8KW Genset on the shelf above. Not an easy task, but not that difficult. I just crawl in over the engine to gain access to the starboard side. Now reconnecting the throttle cable to the engine is another story. Just that connection alone was a three hour job.

Terry

G

Passage 42

Jessica -

Just so you know, the Passsage 42 has a European CE rating, meaning it's meets standards for open ocean sailing. It's heavier (and less tender) than the newer 420.
Hi Dan, agree. The 420 is a different boat as you say. Hunter used the 43 hull mold to build the 42 and I believe either the 40 or the 41 mold to build the 420.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.