Is a 9.9 too much motor for a Com Pac 16?

Apr 28, 2013
ODay 12.5 Lake Hopatcong
I have a 1978 CP-16. Right now, I have a 45 pound electric trolling motor. Someone is offering me a 9.9 HP 2 stroke for free (yes, good working order). I can have if it I want, but I don't know if that will be too much for the boat. My typical use would be getting in and out of my lake marina, but I might also want to quickly head to parts of the lake 9 miles away. In those circumstances, the speed would be perfect. My wife would also feel more comfortable with a gas motor since I have two small kids and she seems to think electric motors run on voodoo.

Feb 13, 2014
Compac Eclipse Claytor Lake
The 9.9 is easily twice as much power as you will need to achieve hull speed. Not sure of the weight but suspect it will be quite heavy - a lot to hang on the back of a 16 ft boat and also a pain to lug around. Free is good but you would be happier with a smaller, lighter motor in the long run (say 3 - 5 hp max).

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'd take it. It's free. If the motor isn't suitable you can give it to someone else...or...sell it. Biggest deal is the weight, not the power. If your boat has a retractable centerboard the 9.9 will probably push it along pretty quickly... The excess power will cause some prop cavitation and push the stern down...squat.. as you get near the hull's speed limitations... unless you can get it to plane.