Iron keel primer question

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a few small spots of rust on my iron keel. A 1 qt. epoxy primer pack hull primer would be way over-kill. What about using my MAS or West Systems mixes? Anyone use a few coats of clear boat epoxy to successfully seal the prepared iron?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Presuming you want your bottom paint to stick to it, the epoxy must be primed anyway so why not just do it properly? Rhetorical question...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So I took the question direct to the paint manufacturer Kop-Coat (Petit). They tell me a regular clear epoxy (MAS, West System) can be used. Prep, apply epoxy, scuff the dried epoxy, apply bottom paint.

This makes sense, I have found that any of the properly applied epoxies provide a very good substrate for paints and varnish. And HydroCoat bottom paint sticks to just about any standard bottom paint.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
be sure to apply the epoxy asap after prepping the the iron as oxidation starts emediatly and the longer you wait the worse it gets......

regards

woody

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
Iron keel prep

a couple of years ago I noticed the fiberglass coating on my cast iron keel was separating from

A couple of years ago I noticed the fiberglass coating on my cast iron keel was separating.
I peeled and scraped the coating completely off. 2 I washed the keel with lacquer thinner
3 I applied 2 coats of pettit #6420 1 part rust protector. 4 and finally I applied 2 coats of west system epoxy. And finally 2 coats of ablative paint So far so good. I have two seasons of use with no sign of any rust or corrosion on the keel

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Keel repairs was something that I learned from the old salts and then applied to working on sailboats at my dealership. I am not sure what it would be called today but I applied zinc chromate once the keel was sanded and cleaned to prevent rust, then applied Epoxies or glass before bottom painting per the customer's request. Never had any other issues. What I am trying to say is to put on a primer that prevents the keel from oxidizing or rusting and application needs to be put on quickly once you have cleaned the keel.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Keel repairs was something that I learned from the old salts and then applied to working on sailboats at my dealership. I am not sure what it would be called today but I applied zinc chromate once the keel was sanded and cleaned to prevent rust, then applied Epoxies or glass before bottom painting per the customer's request. Never had any other issues. What I am trying to say is to put on a primer that prevents the keel from oxidizing or rusting and application needs to be put on quickly once you have cleaned the keel.
I second this method. I've used it with no issues.

Specifically, for touchups;

1) Expose cast iron area of interest.
2) Expand area of interest to solid iron (remove any loose material and bevel edges of existing fairing material).
3) Abrade cast iron with wire brush on grinder.
4) Immediately wipe down area with acetone.
5) Immediately brush on Rust Check Rust Killer to seal and prime iron.
6) Brush on west epoxy neat.
7) While step 6 kicks, fill and fair with west epoxy w/filler.
8) Wash with soap and water/rinse with water to remove amine blush once cured.
9) Sand if required, or skip to 11.
10) Repeat 6 and 8.
11) Roll on VC17, overlapping onto existing bottom paint around area of interest.
12) Full coat bottom with VC17.

This works for me, you may have to modify the iron paint and bottom coat for your location.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I used Primocon for spot repairs over iron that was sanded to bare metal and coated immediately, it worked very well. When I finally had to do the entire keel last year, the areas I had done with the Primocon were still in excellent shape. When I did the whole thing, I used several coats of Interprotect 2000, and bottom painted with 3 coats of VC 17. I'm in fresh water so VC 17 works well for me.

tbosch

Mar 30, 2012
Dufour 35 Bayfield, WI
be sure to apply the epoxy asap after prepping the the iron as oxidation starts emediatly and the longer you wait the worse it gets......

regards

woody
I second that!

And when applying a coat of neat West Systems epoxy use a wire brush to scour the epoxy into the iron. One more coat of neat when the first gets tacky (no scour on this one). Iron will be well sealed and ready for primer and bottom paint. I used 5 coats of interlux 2000.