Irma prep...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
assume most if not all c22'ers put the boat on the trailer, strap it down and either tow it out of the projected path or park it in the driveway or on the hard at the yard....any other advice other than prayers (esp for our FL folks)? Tday's update is fugly...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Review your insurance more important for your residence but the boat too.

Note hurricane force winds typically extend less than 100 miles in breadth.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
It's different for everybody. We live in Florida, but we're 300 miles from Miami, and 40 miles inland from the nearest salt water, which is Cedar Key. So I am about as well situated as one can be in this state.

That said ... in the event that Irma entered the Gulf of Mexico still relatively undiminished, and took aim at the Gulf coast north of Tampa, I would have some very real cause for concern, even here. Never mind the boats in the driveway - I live in an early 90's mobile home, not much sturdier than a canvas tent, and I'm surrounded by massive trees that would crush anything they might fall on.

I'll have a plan in motion by tomorrow AM if Irma looks like she's heading for the Gulf.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Anticipation is always a good idea,however, Florida has the second largest (longest) coastline at over 1300 miles. From a purely analytical point, what's the likelihood of getting hit with a storm of indeterminate track at present which creates hurricane force winds only 90 miles in diameter?
"Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the
center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140 miles
(220 km)."

What was it that Dirty Harry said about feeling lucky?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Hermine, last year, as a Cat 1 went 200 miles to the north of me. Still put almost a foot of water in my house. Wind direction is everything when you live on the coast.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Good luck !

EDIT: Are there building codes for new buildings in Florida that are designed to avoid the flooding, and wind damage ?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Hunker down lads and be safe -- Irma looking like a real beotch for many.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Good luck !

EDIT: Are there building codes for new buildings in Florida that are designed to avoid the flooding, and wind damage ?
yes, but varies some by county & coastal proximity, Miami/Dade extremely so...IZ4 impact glass windows, as an example...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Yes, I'll take the tornados. They hit and do their damage and are gone in relatively no time at all.
Yeah, but tornadoes don't give you a week's notice they're coming!

The trouble is, every hurricane seems to bring its own little BAG of tornadoes, which it scatters in all directions, like candy from Satan's parade float. :angry:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The Weather Channel just said the FL building codes were beefed up in 1991 after ??? storm.

Thanks for the correction. I was on SBO and not fully listening to the TV. I save that for when Jen is on :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
It was after Andrew in 1992 they really started statewide

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It's different for everybody.the boats in the driveway - I live in an early 90's mobile home, not much sturdier than a canvas tent, and I'm surrounded by massive trees that would crush anything they might fall on. I'll have a plan in motion by tomorrow AM if Irma looks like she's heading for the Gulf.
Gene,
Probably not a bad idea to start getting your plan together & make preparations around the house. Should have a more definitive track by Friday. Is there a substantial place that you can evacuate to in your locale or do you plan to get out of Dodge? Traffic is going to be a nightmare with everyone heading North. Keep safe.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Looks like Ivan aftermath in Pensacola, large 40 foot sportfishers in street 1/4 mile from marina, we had 30 storm surge at worst, lifted interstate bridge sections and sunk them. Hurricanes are no fun. No electricity for 2 weeks plus.

Sep 30, 2013
Gene,
Probably not a bad idea to start getting your plan together & make preparations around the house. Should have a more definitive track by Friday. Is there a substantial place that you can evacuate to in your locale or do you plan to get out of Dodge? Traffic is going to be a nightmare with everyone heading North. Keep safe.
Our daughter lives in a nice sturdy apartment fifteen minutes away, so we can shelter there if need be. She has two college girl roommates ... but they won't mind. ;)

We have tons of water and food, first aid supplies, car/jeep/pickup all fueled up, five propane tanks, generator (powers the lights, TV, and fridge), 25 gallons of gas, chain saw ... liquor and guns of course.

It doesn't flood here, so that's a big plus. Just need the house to stay put!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
you are WELL prepared! The 11:00 update looks better for you as it shows running up the east coast....right into MY backyard!! I have the guns and liquor, water and gas, no college roomates though :sosad:.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
We have tons of water and food, first aid supplies, car/jeep/pickup all fueled up, five propane tanks, generator (powers the lights, TV, and fridge), 25 gallons of gas, chain saw ... liquor and guns of course.
In the immortal words of Slim Pickens as Major T. J. "King" Kong: "Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."
Good luck dealing with that Irma.