1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Irma devastates parts of BVI charter fleets

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by BlowMeAway, Sep 6, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    1,133 posts, 619 likes
    Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca
    :( Just saw a few photos on Cindy's Facebook pages of some nasty effects from the front side of Irma on Tortola. This is an image captured as the hurricane eye flew over. I haven't authenticated the image, but it shows up as being shared a number of time by BVI residents. This is south Tortola, Paraquita Bay (Hurricane Hole). Apparently the hole needs a new name. Very sad. Feel free to post additional images or stories as the evening progresses.

IMG_0662.JPG

2. Blye

Blye

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    22 posts, 32 likes
    Holly brown things! This is going to leave a scar that'll take a long while to heal.....

BlowMeAway likes this.
  3. Jeremy McGeary

Jeremy McGeary

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    8 posts, 4 likes
    Cat litter?

BlowMeAway likes this.
  4. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    1,133 posts, 619 likes
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca
    Indeed, I didn't see a single monohull in this pile. Give it a look, it's harder than "Where's Waldo". There's a few on the outskirts, but they all seem to be intact and close to shorelines.

5. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    424 posts, 170 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota

BlowMeAway likes this.
  6. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    1,133 posts, 619 likes
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca
    I've only ever rented from BVI Yacht Charters at Joma Marina in Port Purcell. Somewhere online I saw a plan schematic for all assigned rental Fleets expected to moor in Hurricane Hole. BVIYC was planned there as well. That means that my next rental may or may not have succumbed to the fury. I see a long and painful recovery for our good friends and we Credit Card captains.

7. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    1,133 posts, 619 likes
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca
  8. Jeremy McGeary

Jeremy McGeary

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    8 posts, 4 likes
    Pootling around the web last evening, I saw both those photos, but the article said that the "before" photo dates to about 2015. Still, I don't think there are fewer charter boats in the BVI now than there were then.
    Just looking at that "before" photo, you have to wonder what they were thinking (or drinking?) to expect a raft of that size with that much windage to remain intact in even a less powerful storm. I do feel sorry for the charter businesses, though, and all the owners of those boats and next season's would-be charterers.

9. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,447 posts, 274 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    That's not a hurricane hole in my mind. Plus it is classic example of misery is company.

If you were simply rafted up and have 2' waves bounce you around all of a sudden? What do you experience when it turns into 4-6' waves? (Fenders mean little)

Now add the rigs all aligned carefully? (Even with multihulls, you have stays.)

Do you break-up a two or three boat raft when there is supposed to be little thunderstorm or wind shift?

That picture of those boats lined up is either for the "owners", who know little, to gain some comfort that shouldn't exist, or for some purpose of showing-off the fleet.

10. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,958 posts, 888 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    A major point is to get the boats out of the marina so they do not treat the marina like breaking a wishbone apart.

11. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    1,048 posts, 232 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    The question that always comes to my mind when I see something like that is where do you start?

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.