iPad

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I just got a new IPad and want to know if any one is using Navionics on the IPad
and is it worth the $50 and how about the Dock to Dock does it really work good.
I have been using my C-80 Raymarine chart plotter all these years and been very happy but it just bit the dust and thinking of buying one from EBay.
Nick

Mar 28, 2014
Catalina 30 Hyde Park NY
I also have the Raymarine C-80 in my Catalina 30, about two years ago my wife bought me an I Pad on which I loaded the Navionics HD. As a direct comparison having mounted the I Pad on the opposite side of the companionway I invariably use the Pad as a "go to first" option. The detail, speed of zoom, detail, available information and clarity are superior to the Chartplotter. The Dock to Dock is excellent for planning particularly, do monitor the routing however. It receives updates almost daily but not necessarily of the area in which you are operating.
Since having used mine extensively and demonstrated to fellow sailors, three of them have also purchased the Application and are using with great satisfaction.
I would advise the use of a waterproof case, an expensive mistake to be avoided by not having one.

I do not have any association with Raymarine.........just a very satisfied user

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Works great but you cannot see it in the sunlight. You have to go below to view it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nick.
I have iNav and iSailor on my iPad. It is a good tool, with limitations. Not bright enough in direct sun the cockpit. Easy to route, even on the fly. iNav connects with my AIS so it is the preferred tool. Like the NOAA charts. Still looking for the way to set up in the cockpit as water and iPad do not mix very well.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I think I am really going to miss my C-80 and it was my main way of navigating,I have a
cellphone and my Samsung tablet with the Navionics and remember they not doing well in sun light.
I will be looking on EBay for a replacement and was told by Raymarine that any new Chartplotters won't work with my Radar but hardly use the Radar.
I will try calling Raymarine to see maybe what if anything will work with my equipment.
Nick

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Navionics on an iPhone is a real battery hog. It doesn't last through my usual four hour sail.
Others have mentioned visibility issues at the helm. A Bimini helps.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I got Navionics on IPhone was so cheap but never use it and my screen so small but
was thinking a good backup if the C-80 failed.
Nick

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Nick we have the ipad after our old Garmin bit the dust. I can see it in the cockpit under the bimini. Besides the charts as back up it is my primary nav tool. The point to point works about 90% on the time. You click the start and the end. It thinks for a while and plots it out. In our neck of the woods, Charlotte Harbor, we use the ICW most of the time so the auto plotting is easy. We found a plastic $14 holder on amazon and screwed it to where the GPS was and use a 12v adapter at the helm to keep it powered up. We usually avoid sailing in the rain but it fits fine in a plastic bag and since most of our storms are about 1 hour or less and I'm usually going about 5 knots it isn't a big deal.
I like to be able to sit at home and plan out routes rather than trying to do it on the boat

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thanks Frank and heading back to Florida right after Labor Day and see ya.
Nick

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I uses Android tablet with Navionics for chart and Watchmate for AIS. Works great. Have to set max brightness during day time and minimum brightness at night. Runs off 12V socket with usb adaptor at pedestal.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thanks all and will try my Ipad at the helm when I get back to home and start sailing again and I do have lots of canvas to help block the sun and will look to add a usb at the helm.
Nick

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I keep iPad next to helm and use to set and save tracks going into various ports. It is my go to when questioning depths etc because of modern functions and ease of use. I have the Garmin navigational program on mine and love it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We use our iPad at the helm all the time these days as a secondary device. Due to the nature of my business I have nearly every navigation app on my iPad and use it to let customers try the various apps before they buy. 90% of the time they choose iSailor.. I can't recall the last time I fired up anything but iSailor & Garmin Blue Chart Mobile (for Active Captain data)...

As I type this I am using my iPad and Wilson cell booster to get a signal out of Bucks Harbor, ME. Bucks Harbor was made famous in the children's book "One Morning in Maine" by Robert McCloskey, its steep hills make for tough data. The thing I really like about iSailor is that I just plotted four different 28 - 34nm potential courses for today in all of about 3-4 minutes. iPad does double duty but I am not at all ready to rely solely on the iPad but it sure is convenient..

For a mount I use a Scanstrut Rokk mount (w/universal AMPS adapter) and a Lifeproof case & locking cradle...

Now....

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
As a bit of a "digit head" I too have just about all the apps on the Ipad and Iphone 7. Because we're just cruising the Chesapeake I opted to not add dedicated chart plotter on this boat as it has minimum electronics. Maybe once we move up but at this point I don't see the need. I like the automatic routing of Navionics. I also like ISailor. I have an Ipad at home and can plan routes from there and they sync with the Ipad pro I keep on the boat. The Ipad pro is better in bright light but still not as good as a dedicated plotter. We have 12v in the cockpit to deal with the battery drain which can be considerable.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I use my ipad with Navionics, and I also have the rayview app which allows me to see the split screen views on my chartplotter.
I really can't use the ipad in the cockpit because of sun glare and/or the effect of polarized sunglasses. Of course the chartplotter itself isn't much better. Again there's a risk of getting the ipad wet.
I wish apple could figure out a way to incorporate a bright non- glare screen, better battery life, and a touch screen that would work with gloves on.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Nick: I have both Navionics and InavX on my IPad. I like them both. I haven't used the dock to dock navigation feature and I would rather make my own routes. With Navionics it's easy to add a waypoint just by touching the route.

You also can sync between your IPad and your IPhone and Navionics has an excellent track function that you can replay. I think, but am not sure, that purchase for an IPad also gives you access on your IPhone for free, but check this out on their website.

With my Bimini, I don't have too much visibility problems in the cockpit. Without it, it would be tough to use.

My old Pathfinder chartplotter went out and I bought a used one from Chuck Wayne for $400. Maybe someone on this site has a C80 around that upgraded to a newer model. Also, check eBay. I've seen used models on there. My radar won't work with newer chartplotter either and I am still running 15 year old electronics.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Just curious how the C80 failed? I had the C70 on my C30 :) that the screen developed vertical lines. I took it apart and it turned out, with a lot of research, to be a pin connector that wasn't making good contact. I was able to correct it and it is still working.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I've had Navionics on my cell phone and ipad as a backup and found it's much easier to navigate but I still preferred the C70 for the radar overlay.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I either get a black screen or the start up Raymarine screen that is all I get.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did get a used C-80 but because of many different things going on have yet to try things out but soon hope to be back on the water.
Both me and my wife have had been sick and I am doing fine but my wife needs to be tested for COPD .
I have Garmin BlueChart with AC and Navionics on IPad and IPhone and hope to be on the water soon
Nick