Registered users don't see ads

Introduction

Discussion in 'Sailing Motorcyclists' started by Tedd, Jul 25, 2013. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Tedd

Tedd

Joined Jul 25, 2013
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26 C, D, or S (desired)
    US near Vancouver, BC
    I'm not sure I quite qualify for this forum, because I don't actually have a sailboat! But I am serious about getting one.

I first sailed as a teenager, back in the 70s, in a Bombardier 3.8, and then later, in the 80s, on a sailboard. But I don't consider myself any more than a beginner. I've never had any proper instruction, and never sailed anything bigger than a dinghy on anything bigger than a small lake.

I have a bit more background in motorcycles. My first bike was a 69 Honda Z50, back when it was nearly new. I rode dirt bikes a little as a teenager, but didn't get serious about motorcycling until my twenties, when I bought a Honda GL500 Interstate. I owned that bike for over 25 years. I've also owned a 95 Triumph Speed Triple and an 04 ST1300, both of which I still own. One of those may have to go to, to accommodate the sailboat, though.

2. Crackaloon

Crackaloon

Joined Oct 8, 2013
    42 posts, 0 likes
    S2 27
    US Delaware Bay currently
    I had even less sailing experience. I took lessons this past summer, and bought my first sailboat.

I started riding illegally on my first bike, a 1973 CB350 chopper. Since then I've had a '78 CB750F, CB200, CB185 (rotting in the back yard), CM400 I think, and my current ride a 2003 VTX1300S. Yes, all Hondas.

3. trainmanjess

trainmanjess

Joined Dec 7, 2012
    515 posts, 1 likes
    Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 ..
    US Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
    hello all

welcome and stay awhile... I have both a sailboat ('67kittiwake sailboat) and a motorcycle ('05 Suzuki Savage)... I have owned 2 sailboats, a '86 MacGregor 25, and now my '67 Kittiwake 23... sailing is my Nervana (place of tranquility)...as for motorcycles, I have owned several... my 1st was a '76 Honda 650, later I got 79 Honda CB600, '82 Honda VF700s Sabre, and finally now my '05 Suzuki Savage.... it is all about the wind in the hair, and the open sky... find your sailboat and motorcycle to enjoy life to its fullest...

sincerely
    Jess

4. TanzerTom

TanzerTom

Joined Dec 9, 2015
    32 posts, 2 likes
    Tanzer 26
    Us Nc Nc
    Well, this particular group certainly isn't going to get crowded! Still, seems the two very different sports would have similar appeal: a sense of freedom and intimate involvement with the objects of our affection. I started out on what was called enduro motorcycles and beach catamarans. Had a Triumph Trophy Trail for a day. Another for a week. Both had motor failure. Both new! Got a Suzuki 185 and rode all over the mountain trails for years. First sail boat was a catamaran... of sorts. We deemed it the beer barge at Salter Path on the Carolina coast. Later built my own Isotope, enjoyed club racing and moved up to a NACRA 5.2. Now I'm looking for my third coastal cruiser and enjoying my 30 year old Kawasaki KLR 600 and 25 year old Honda Hawk GT647, bought new and still ridden regularly. Hope we attract more folk and can share tall tales from salt and dirt.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.