Introduction & stepping question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Hi all - I'm 'Bostonian' and am the new owner of a lightly used H146.

The forum has been a great resource and I'm interested in a beginning-to-end guide to stepping the mast. I have gleaned bits and pieces of the process in other threads, but not everything from start to finish.

The main question I have (without having tried it out myself) is - Are the shrouds long enough that you can attach them to the U-brackets attached to the deck of the boat (name?) while the base of the mast is in place but laying horizontally, resting on the aft mast carrier? My goal is to be able to step the mast myself, shrouds first (untensioned at first I assume) and then attach the forestay - probably doing so by using gravity to my advantage and having the boat on a slight downward slope, wrapping a bowline around the mast and the mast-tongue on the trailer and then attaching the shackle from there. Sound sensible? Any advice will be appreciated.

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Wow - 49 views and 0 replies. Let's try switching the conversation to get things going here.

First question - If you could have lunch with anyone, dead or alive, what would you eat?

Second question - What is your favorite place to sail your Hunter, and what's the most exciting sailing experience you've had with your boat?

Me? First - I'd definitely have to order a steak.
Second - Duxbury Bay, Massachusetts - consistent wind, wide open space and protected from the ocean. Just got the boat so no favorite rides to report yet.

lokiii

Apr 12, 2010
Hunter 170 SLO
I don't have a 146

...but I have a 170 that may be similar.

First: Pizza, with an egg on it.
Second: Morro Bay, CA--seals, sea lions, watching tourists on embarcadero from chanel, dodging hobo boats through current, docking for fish & chips...
Third: Huntington Lake mono wind in Sunfish when about 13yrs old--exciting.

Understand that others do things differently, but this is what I do, taught to me by Hunter dealer I bought from. Part of this is a cut and paste message to another, but may help out. I keep mast stays intact and don't undo them. Lift mast midway and walk to back of boat, spear mast into block, then walk it forward/upright. While holding mast upright with one hand, take halyard in other hand. Send halyard around the stays to the front. Hook halyard to one of the front cleats. Tighten other end of halyard line (tight!) to mast cleat. Undo trailer winch hook from bow eyelet and attach to halyard hook and turn winch (while keeping tension on halyard line so mast doesn't fall backward) to bend the mast forward. Pin forstay/jib to roller furler. Unwinch halyard and hook winch back to bow eyelet (so boat doesn't float away when ramping it in).

Helpfull hint: I tied piece on bungee cord around mast just below cleats to hold ends of halyard in place after raising mast. Found the end waving about halfway up mast out of reach and had to reverse whole process to get it back down. Also works to hold the excess halyard line after raising sail.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
First question - If you could have lunch with anyone, dead or alive, what would you eat?

Second question - What is your favorite place to sail your Hunter, and what's the most exciting sailing experience you've had with your boat?

Me? First - I'd definitely have to order a steak.
Second - Duxbury Bay, Massachusetts - consistent wind, wide open space and protected from the ocean. Just got the boat so no favorite rides to report yet.
Re stepping your mast, piece of cake. See the thread below...

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=118258

No question about it. A nice juicy steak.

Lake Sammamish is the only place my Hunter moves upon. Finicky winds though. EVERY time the wind kicks up is an exciting time at the helm of my boat.

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Thanks Bluerunner. Took the family out again this weekend, we had a really nice sail!

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Hi Bostonian,
I can confirm that Bluerunners suggestion works great. I am a new H15 owner (same rig as the H146) but my new boat came with the Johnson quick release shroud adjusters. If you haven't bought them yet see my post ( http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=119118 )
to see the model that came with my boat. Having a lighter mast than the H170, I did something slightly different and just use a block system (one with a camcleat) attached to the main halyard and the trailer mast upright. It works a treat! I keep the shrouds attached to the chain plates with the adjusters in the open position and bungee cord the shrouds to the mast while trailering. I only unattached the shrouds when I know I won't be sailing for a while or when I store the mast in my garage.
Oh and BTW:
1. Potato Pizza
2. I sail on the Swan River in between Perth and Fremantle in Western Australia. Nothing exciting yet as I have only sailed the new boat 3 times, always in light winds.

Also, happy sailing, I'm sure you will love your boat as much as I love sailing mine.
Cheers!

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Gents - Thanks for your helpful tips. I'm still vexed with the self-furling. We went out for a sail today and I see a couple of potential issues, maybe it's the norm, maybe not. The front forestay is about a half inch longer than the grommet at the foot of the jib. I wonder, is the shackle on the drum too short in the 'U', or is the forestay cable mis-adjusted or too long, or does the jib furled too tight thus not enough slack to be in line with the forestay grommet? I'm sure it's a simple answer, I just need you pros and your sage advice.

Another outstanding sail today in the local bay, down to Gurnet point and back for a brief stop for lunch and a swim. Light to moderate wind, giving us all a good chance to practice trimming the sail and practicing boat control. Our kids have learned all the important parts of the boat and the basics of steering and trimming and were in charge of the jib - great family time! Thanks again for the help!

Feb 26, 2010
Yes, I felt the supplied shackle was too short to attach to the furler also so I replaced it for a longer and stronger one. I took the furling drum and supplied shackle to my local chandlery and found one one with a longer U and one that had a thicker shank that fit through the top of the furling drum. I also replaced the original rope with a different colour as I have been sailing with some novice sailors and now I can ask them to pull the blue rope instead of mystify them by saying "furl the jib". Actually I colour coded all my sheets. I even cut the supplied single red jib sheet in two and now have a red sheet for the port side and a green for the starboard.
Nice boat these H146/H15's, eh?

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Thanks Esterhazyinoz! I think I'm going to get a more fitting shackle. They're really nice boats! The guy I bought it from said he always got compliments on it, and I've experienced the same. Using it is a breeze, it seems very forgiving, not too tippy, and it zips right along even in light wind.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2010
I've had the same experience with my new boat. Re making life easier when setting up, there are a number of small things that I have changed/modified. One of the most effective was simply exchanging those split ring pins, everywhere I could, with those spring toggle pins. They come in various lengths but only one width. I now use them on the bottom of my johnson quick shroud adjusters (get these if you haven't already) where they attach to the chain plates and at the bottom of the furling drum (it makes this task so much easier when attaching the forestay). I really hate those split ring pins, I'm always dropping them!
Cheers!
PS. If I unpack my boat for a sail next weekend I try and take some photos of some of the mods I made. Although there is a lot of very good advice and illustrations of H170 mods, there are not many re the H146. The H170 has different and more substantial rigging as it carries a larger sail plan. The H146/H15 is much simplier. I know that H146 owners have done more to their boats than has been published in the owner info/ mods section (just read the owner reviews for the H146). I always wish that that would publish photos of what they have done.

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Yes, those ring pins are ridiculous. In fact, one popped off of the starboard shroud this weekend just as we were about to get underway. Luckily I saw it happen and we were in shallow enough water for me to fish it out. I'm definitely going to get some toggle pins plus extras when I get the new shackle for the jib/drum. Please do post up some pictures, I'll do the same.

Feb 26, 2010
Hi,
When you go to get those toggle pins, bring the furling drum and shroud adjusters with you to get the right length. I made sure I had a tight fit so the spring was holding the toggle end against the hardware firmly. I figured that way there would be less chance of of it slipping out that way. To fit the pins at the bottom end of the Johnson quick release shroud adjusters my sailing shop had to very slightly drill out the hole as, oddly, one pin wouldn't fit.

Just to be sure to be sure (just got back from Ireland) I may also start to put a small strip of electricians tape over the toggle end when setting up. I've never had a mast come down on me and I want to keep it that way.

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Hi Esterhazyinoz - Thanks for the pictures. I see how you rigged the jib/roller drum. I spoke with the boat sales group who sold my boat to the original owner this weekend. His solution for the mis-aligned jib / forestay grommet was to lash the two together, which I did. Voila - working self furling jib! I see you used the aft connection point - does that put slack in your forestay? Did you have to compensate for slack somehow?

How do you like the boom kicker? I think that looks like a worthwhile mod. Was it bolt-on or was the installation more complicated?

We had an OK sail yesterday. We went into a protected cove of marshlands. The wind was gusty, strong and changing. We ended up having to drop the main and I walked us back, me on the marsh, them floating along. Other sailors had the same problem, so for me - live and learn!

Feb 26, 2010
My Owners manual said to attach it to the rear connection point (did you get a owners manual? – if not I’ll email you a .pdf). Actually I loosened the shroud tension on the Johnson levers (I went up a hole). So far so good with this setting but I am yet to sail this boat in strong winds. In expectation of our strong summer winds, I had my sail maker add a Cunningham grommet about 30cm above the mainsail tack and I purchased a vang like set of blocks and line so I now have a way of tensioning the luff of the mainsail. With the light winter winds I haven’t really used this to any effect yet.
Re the boom kicker, yes I love it. It makes it much more civilised to not have the boom come crashing down when you have to drop the mainsail quickly and it makes it easier to attach the vang, raise the main, set the clew outhaul. I sail for enjoyment and anything I can find to make sailing easier and more enjoyable. I welcome it.
Installation is easy. You slide these fittings down the grove in the mast and tighten them in place with a screwdriver. Good instructions come with the unit. Note that there is a specific model for the Hunter 146/15 and other 15 foot daysailers.
Re doing an “African Queen” remake, well at least you could walk your way home and anyway it always is live and learn when it comes to sailing. Anyone who says they know it all, is , well you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.