Introduction and Happy Holidays!

Dec 26, 2017
None None Los Angeles
Best holiday wishes to all you sailors. I'd like to start off saying that if it wasn't for this forum, I would have never been introduced to the world of sailing. I met Duane aka Novelman through this forum about 10 years ago who introduced me to sailing. I also met and sailed with Frank who's still active and goes by the name caguy on this forum. We've been friends ever since. I remember the joy I felt preparing and taking the boat out of the marina and as the day drew to a close, I was exhausted but still in a good way. You don't have to hear this from me, but man are you guys a tough bunch! The constant back and forth rocking motion of the sea, the wind, sea spray, sickness and fear of the boom swinging across and hitting me in the head and knocking me out of the boat is real, but is easily outweighed by the feeling of freedom, excitement and adventure I feel when sailing.
Unfortunately, Duane is no longer active on this forum or is sailing any longer. I however, am still young and my last sailing adventure was a long time ago with Frank and I miss sailing terribly. I know I should get my own sailboat, but that probably wont happen until my kids grow up.
I live in LA and I'd love to sail with you. I have some sailing experience and I'm looking for sailing buddies. Contact me. Thanks.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Buy a boat! Start small, keep your costs low, and make sailors of your kids. I started at 6.

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
There's always someone willing to part with a boat to a good home. agprice22 is spot on, start small and get on board. You're always welcome here!

Aug 3, 2012
There's always someone willing to part with a boat to a good home. agprice22 is spot on, start small and get on board. You're always welcome here!
Sooo true. There are people willing to give away small boats to good homes!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Welcome.
You could join a sailing club or get a small (16 feet or so) trailersailer and get the whole family involved. It's a lot better for your kids to be out on the water than sitting behind a keyboard, and you certainly live in a place where you can use a boat year 'round.
All you'd have to do, to afford a small boat, is not buy the kids the latest phone and computer every year. Sure they'll whine and moan for a while, but it will bring the family closer together, in time.

Dec 26, 2017
None None Los Angeles
Thanks for all the advice. However, I don't own a home and storing a boat, however small, at the property is not an option. My kids are way smaller to be sailing now. I'm looking mainly for myself for now. My offer still stands.

Aug 3, 2012
When you are ready to get into ownership, you can dry-slip a small boat at a marina. Around here, the cost is only a few hundred per season.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
If your handy, You could also look for a free boat that needs some work. That is what we did with the Stagazer. It takes time, but we were sailing her within 6 months, and have been having a blast since day one.

She looked like this on day 1
IMG_119088926202977.jpeg 10463653_483629828437846_4748915856463775881_o.jpg

After 6 months on her shakedown cruise
Shakedown Croped 12-28-14.png

Last year at the dock getting ready for Holiday boat parade.
2016-12-24 13.36.34.jpg

Dec 26, 2017
None None Los Angeles
That's one nice boat pateco. You did a remarkable job with the Stagazer. What I'd like to know is what size sailboat should I look for and for a family of four that we can use not only for day sailing, but also sail to nearby islands for a few days and comfortable enough to slip in. And for a given boat size, what will my expenses be per month? Is there a tool I can use to precisely calculate these expenses? Thank you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is there a tool I can use to precisely calculate these expenses? Thank you.
Yes. It is called an Excel Spreadsheet. It will do the calculations precisely based on the data that you input. Since each sailors data is different, in order to be precise, you will need to develop your own data for the calculation.
  1. What I'd like to know is what size sailboat should I look for and for a family of four that we can use not only for day sailing, but also sail to nearby islands for a few days and comfortable enough to slip in.
    1. Answer: Unknown due to undefined variables.
      1. Size, sex and age of family members
      2. Few days is unclear. 2 or 6. Such info is needed to identify capacities of water, light, heat, storage which are all necessary for comfort.
      3. Comfortable: Are we talking mummy bag comfortable in a rock sling, or Motor RV with queen sized beds.
      4. "Slip in" Pretty much every boat out there will permit you to "Slip in" on a wet deck.
      5. Sleep in... You can sleep on all boats.
  2. And for a given boat size, what will my expenses be per month?
    1. Oh my. I am not even sure where to start.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
That's one nice boat pateco. You did a remarkable job with the Stagazer. What I'd like to know is what size sailboat should I look for and for a family of four that we can use not only for day sailing, but also sail to nearby islands for a few days and comfortable enough to slip in. And for a given boat size, what will my expenses be per month? Is there a tool I can use to precisely calculate these expenses? Thank you.
Restoration expense is entirely up to you and your ability to work on it yourself. We put a lot of sweat equity into the Stargazer, but still have spent thousands getting her to where she is. Including transport from Baltimore to S Florida, new bottom paint, used sails, new running rigging, new batteries, battery monitor system, new head, new radios, engine maintenance parts, zincs, Etc. The list can be as long as you like. Mine is still huge but we take it one project at a time.

Then you have your monthly expenses. Here I am paying $10/foot for dock space. plus as of this year I am paying for monthly bottom cleaning (I wasn't getting the time to do it myself often enough, and I'd rather go sailing than clean the bottom LOL). I also spend money on liability insurance, and once a year boat registration with the state of FL. Fuel expense has been a non issue. I think I have spent about $80 total on diesel in the last 3 years, and we motor 45 minutes each way when we go out to the Atlantic to sail.

As far as size, that is up to you and your family. My wife does not like to rough it, so at 31', the Stargazer is still a little small for us with two teen aged boys, but it works. It is also small enough that I can comfortably solo sail her when I want to.

Good luck in your search

Dec 26, 2017
None None Los Angeles
Wow, didn't realize it was this much dificuilt.

Yes. It is called an Excel Spreadsheet. It will do the calculations precisely based on the data that you input. Since each sailors data is different, in order to be precise, you will need to develop your own data for the calculation.
  1. What I'd like to know is what size sailboat should I look for and for a family of four that we can use not only for day sailing, but also sail to nearby islands for a few days and comfortable enough to slip in.
    1. Answer: Unknown due to undefined variables.
      1. Size, sex and age of family members
      2. Few days is unclear. 2 or 6. Such info is needed to identify capacities of water, light, heat, storage which are all necessary for comfort.
      3. Comfortable: Are we talking mummy bag comfortable in a rock sling, or Motor RV with queen sized beds.
      4. "Slip in" Pretty much every boat out there will permit you to "Slip in" on a wet deck.
      5. Sleep in... You can sleep on all boats.
  2. And for a given boat size, what will my expenses be per month?
    1. Oh my. I am not even sure where to start.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@sailingla
Not really difficult, just a matter of compromises. Trying to get it ALL will take time and or money.
Many start small and ease their way into the adventure. But that is not the only path.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I knew a French couple who lived on a boat a few slips down from the boat I lived on as a kid. They had two children they birthed and raised while living aboard. I don't remember the boat make, but it was no longer than 34' and looked a lot like this one

They were happy people and a pleasure to know.
Dock fees versus apartment rental is probably about the same, only you own the boat.

- Will (Dragonfly)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Best holiday wishes to all you sailors. I'd like to start off saying that if it wasn't for this forum, I would have never been introduced to the world of sailing. I met Duane aka Novelman through this forum about 10 years ago who introduced me to sailing. I also met and sailed with Frank who's still active and goes by the name caguy on this forum. We've been friends ever since. I remember the joy I felt preparing and taking the boat out of the marina and as the day drew to a close, I was exhausted but still in a good way. You don't have to hear this from me, but man are you guys a tough bunch! The constant back and forth rocking motion of the sea, the wind, sea spray, sickness and fear of the boom swinging across and hitting me in the head and knocking me out of the boat is real, but is easily outweighed by the feeling of freedom, excitement and adventure I feel when sailing.
Unfortunately, Duane is no longer active on this forum or is sailing any longer. I however, am still young and my last sailing adventure was a long time ago with Frank and I miss sailing terribly. I know I should get my own sailboat, but that probably wont happen until my kids grow up.
I live in LA and I'd love to sail with you. I have some sailing experience and I'm looking for sailing buddies. Contact me. Thanks.
Forgive me if my feeble mind does not recall. Novelman was a way back. I still sail every other weekend with a club in MDR. We meet second and fourth Sunday for day sails. Didn't go out today, weather is crappy. We have cruises once a month. The cost is $100/year for membership. You can sail the first couple of times for $10 includes breakfast and after sail dock party. We meet at Burton Chase park at about 9am.
In addition I am always looking for crew. When I do go I post a group text message to about 25 sailing buddies and usually will get a response from a couple. Send me your phone and I can add you to the list.
Frank