Internet entrance test

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Spell checker does a good job of picking the wrong usage of its and it’s consistently.
However, the spell checker is not totally to blame. We have a couple of generations of english teachers who are guilty of teaching improper usage.
I’m by no means perfect, I admit that, but some people’s grammar is like fingernails on a blackboard.
Another thing that drives me crazy is the use of the word “like” at the beginning of just about every thought.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Whomever is to blame, I've given up on cringing when I hear pronouns misused. It was exercising the wrong muscles. Have me stomach cramps.

- Will (Dragonfly)

• Ha
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
However, the spell checker is not totally to blame. We have a couple of generations of english teachers who are guilty of teaching improper usage.
OK, that hit a nerve. It's not the teachers who are guilty, but the politicians who tell teachers how and what to teach so their students can pass some state mandated tests or risk losing their jobs. The teacher's jobs, that is.
Disclaimer: I retired in 2010 from teaching math to middle schoolers after 32 years. Miss the kids :frown:, don't miss the bureaucratic BS. :cuss:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's always the government's (i.e., politician's) fault... is the common lament, regardless of how good or poor is the grammar. Therein lies the real problem.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Most teachers are excellent at their jobs, however, some aren't doing much more than filling a position in need, preventing someone with real talent from greying their position.
Whether the state or federal standards are appropriate, there should be standards and the administrators need to be able to hold their teachers to some form of accountability.

- Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
OK, that hit a nerve. It's not the teachers who are guilty, but the politicians who tell teachers how and what to teach so their students can pass some state mandated tests or risk losing their jobs. The teacher's jobs, that is.
Disclaimer: I retired in 2010 from teaching math to middle schoolers after 32 years. Miss the kids :frown:, don't miss the bureaucratic BS. :cuss:
Hey, I was married to a lady who taught high school history and French for 33 years. There were a lot of school year weekends and nights spent doing the unpaid part of her job because she was truly dedicated.
I got a daily second hand dose of the bureaucratic BS that ultimately caused her to retire early.
It really peeves me when people say that teachers have it easy because they only work 9 months and have their summers off. Never mind the extra summer classes and seminars that are required.

The only good part of that was we had 14 years of retirement together before she passed.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Sometimes the little, technical points are important, and sometimes it's just showing off your own intelligence. Now pardon me as I'm ordering some 10-inch VPC line from Defender for my halyard, which I remember as being 102 mm long. :poke:

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Most teachers are excellent at their jobs, however, some aren't doing much more than filling a position in need, preventing someone with real talent from greying their position.
Whether the state or federal standards are appropriate, there should be standards and the administrators need to be able to hold their teachers to some form of accountability.

- Will (Dragonfly)
How about teachers holding administrators and congress to some form of accountability? :poke:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Another thing that drives me crazy is the use of the word “like” at the beginning of just about every thought.
:plus::plus::plus:
And the use of "Too be perfectly Honest".
upload_2018-3-7_15-34-16.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about teachers holding administrators and congress to some form of accountability? :poke:
If only:rolleyes:

-
The only good part of that was we had 14 years of retirement together before she passed.
Doug, I am sorry to hear about your wife's passing. There are few people more special than a truly dedicated teacher. I will put my wife in that category too, as a dedicated nurse. She has retired early, like your wife did. I hope to have many years more with her as my better half.

- Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Sometimes the little, technical points are important, and sometimes it's just showing off your own intelligence. Now pardon me as I'm ordering some 10-inch VPC line from Defender for my halyard, which I remember as being 102 mm long. :poke:
I don't think the extra 6 inches is enough to splice an eye.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:plus::plus::plus:
And the use of "Too be perfectly Honest".
View attachment 147422
I'm not a fan of the use of the word literally to mean actually. Litteral refers to words, something written, like a 'literal translation' = 'word for word' nor am I a fan of 'ongoing' when we have such a nice word like 'continuous' to throw out there.
I actually hate 'ongoing' which literally means 'continuing' or 'continuous'.
The continuous process is continuing while our work on it will continue.
The ongoing process is ongoing while our work on it will be ongoing.

-Will (Dragonfly)