Interior wood finish

Oct 25, 2015
Beneteau 343 Ruskin FL
I have a Beneteau 343, 2006. I would like to refinish the stairs. Does anyone know what finish is on the steps into the cabin area? Thanks in advance.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The original finish was a catalyzed lacquer. Factory recommends use of Mohawk pre-cat spray lacquer. I wouldn’t bother with that, I would scuff it up and apply a spar varnish by brush. This location really deserves better non-skid. Search the archives, I posted a TreadMaster NS install option.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0713.JPG
I refinished mine last Spring.
I suggest removing the bottom step, covering the starter battery, and taking it home to experiment prior to tackling the entire ladder. If there only minor scratches & scuffing, you may be able to lightly sand and apply a few coats of sealer. Mine were moderately worn and had several dings; therefore, I stripped all of the old finish down to the wood veneer.
I used a citrus based chemical peeler and hand scraper to remove most of the old finish. Beware that Beneteau used a pigmented varnish that has an opaque appearance, you have to remove that final layer to get to the bare wood layer.
I used a random orbital sander with 150 to 220 grit discs to initially prep the surfaces. Go slow and be careful not to penetrate through the veneer. Be sure to apply about three layers of masking tape against the intersection of the step and white vertical surface of the engine cowling to prevent the edge of the sanding pad from scuffing the white surface. After vacuuming and using a tack cloth, I wiped the surfaces with denatured alcohol. Mask all of the surrounding areas with paper and tape. I applied two coats of Min Wax Wood conditioner and then applied two coats of Min Wax stain mixed with 2/3 Sedona Red and 1/3 English Chestnut and allowed it to stand for about ten minutes before wiping between coats. After a very light sanding, I then brushed on two coats of Min Wax Helmsman spar urethane with light sanding between coats; however, I was not pleased with the result. I then sprayed about 3 to 4 coats of Helmsman semi gloss ( spray can) with minimal sanding between coats to achieve a better result. Finally, I lightly hand sanded with 400 and 600 grit paper and steel wool, then used aqua buff compound to bring out a nice luster. I applied Sea Fit 1" non skid tape from West Marine using a socket as a template to cut the bull nose on the ends of the tape. The new tape is much superior to the tape that Beneteau used in preventing me from busting my butt repeatedly when the steps are wet; I haven't had another incident to date!
Note that Beneteau recommends using Mo Hawk pre catalized lacquer finish; however, when I tried it on the bottom step at home, I wasn't satisfied with the result. In addition to the urethane finish looking better, I believe it will be more durable to foot traffic and will hold up better as the steps get wet quite often. This is a two to three weekend project to prep and allow adequate drying time for the multiple stain and sealer coats. All of the materials were purchased at a big box home center. My understanding is that Lowes custom mixed Cabot stains; however, the Lowes in my locale didn't offer that service.
As Gunni mentioned, if you are sailing offshore, the step surfaces would be safer with a better non skid surface like treadmaster. I haven't had any problems since refinishing; however, I have enough tape remaining that I could apply another row on each step if needed. My old Hunter had a ladder with rubber surfaces with raised circular areas that were more durable and safer.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks Gunni. I know that we have discussed the MoHawk lacquer previously. Easy to apply and quick drying time that accelerates the total project time; however, I got a very grainy result. Was doing this project in early spring, so I know the ambient temperature wasn't too hot causing too fast a drying time. Just couldn't seem to lay down a smooth finish. I had no problem with the Helmsman urethane spray. All I can say is that the lacquer didn't work in my hands.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
BigEasy - looks great, nice job.

For those that have used both, do you like the Helmsman Spar Urethane or the Epifanes better all things considered for interior finishes? (final finish, ease of application, durability, etc.)

I've been cautioned not to use steel wool in a seawater marine environment (because of microscopic steel fibers that can rust). Is that a myth? I've used steel wool at home and liked the results but if its not applicable in this application is there something else better? I've heard of using scotchbrite pads instead. Tips from experienced people are greatly appreciated.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes, I have also read about avoiding steel wool and using bronze wool instead, especially on metallic fixtures. If there were any steel wool particles embedded in the finish, I think the aqua buff compound removed them. No problems with rust showing up 10 months later. If you really want a terrific finish, use abralon polishing discs in grits up to 4000! This stuff is used to polish bowling balls. I finished a table top a few years ago using abralon and finished up with a few coats of paste wax; its the best finishing result that I have ever achieved. I didn't want to go to that extreme on steps for the boat.
I have never used Epifanes; however, I understand it is a quality product. On exterior surfaces, it just requires too much maintenance for my use. On exterior surfaces I use Cetol natural finish with a few coats of Cetol gloss as a top coat, still nice after four years in Southern exposure. On the Beneteau teak seating surfaces I use Semco for simple prep and application, also provides a non slip surface in the cockpit. For furniture finishing and interior applications, I like DEFT; it flows on easily and results in a deep, durable, luster.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I used a random orbital sander with 150 to 220 grit discs to initially prep the surfaces.
:wow3:
Certainly can't argue with those results.

I normally hate orbital sanders on visible surfaces, especially with grits as course as 220. Hand sand to get the tiny squiggles out. On stair treads, not so important.
I put my first coat of sealer on then sand back to bare wood. The goal is to seal the pores and take out any furring raised by the sealer before it dried. 220-300 grit.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just a quick update. After 4 1/2 years since I refinished my companionway ladder, the top two steps, finished with minwax helmsman urethane spray are holding up very well. Sealer is still intact with a nice gloss remaining. Unfortunately, the bottom riser that was sprayed with MoHawk pre catalized lacquer failed within 1-2 years, I sanded & restained today and will spray with helmsman urethane tomorrow.
For any future refinishing projects on the boat, I will use Minwax spray urethane; it sprays & lays down nicely with long lasting results.