Interior taking shape

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Prerequisite to next weekends first 130 mile road trip and overnight stay? Nothing mechanical says the admiral, it’s cushions:

Dear god I’m in the wrong business — but now the boat has to be worth 3x the purchase price :stupid: — ha

CFA8B01F-80DB-4BCD-867A-30D5B246B18B.jpeg
C597A133-1968-4124-A960-527B14FF02D3.jpeg

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Very nice job! Are those original foam inners. Reason I ask is the cushions look a lot thicker than my boats cushions.

What is the thickness supposed to be?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Excellent work and great choice in colors. They look very comfortable too. I just got my cushion covers back from a local seamstress and family friend. 4 part V-berth, two side bunks and two cockpit cushions. I made the patterns from the old cushions in the cabin and added the cockpit cushion using a large roll of heavy butcher's paper. Went from 1-1/2" thick to 3" in the cockpit and 4" in the cabin. I don't have the cushion material yet. I can only hope they come out looking half as good as yours. :clap:
15359727511588461447012761831096.jpg
Like I said, great color choice.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
It took extra planning to get the stripes to line up on the three-piece v-berth set. Nice job!
amen to that, that's why I'll be doing solid color...I don't have the talent (or the patience) for such an exceptional outcome!!

Jul 13, 2015
Indeed-- I did well by using a professional upholsterer-- no way I was going to even attempt to do anything useful. Hence my jab at cost-- the pro's do a fantastic job, but good material, good quality foam, and labor are not free.

I chose to boost the foam to 4" throughout-- with a reminder that I did not have the original cushions to compare or template from. After checking everything out this weekend-- I realize that I goofed on the seat backs-- 4" is nice and comfy but a bit too thick. All the flat stock at 4" is super comfortable, I'll report back after next weekend on how well it plays as a mattress.
Now that I've given myself a deadline its a race to get the interior as tight as it can before we roll out Friday morning, got the teak trim up again and cleaned up my 2" scupper drains since I had all the boards out for epoxy coating. Even managed to find all the parts and fix the dinette table.
IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

T Minus 3 days :) Liberty Lake here we come

201812506.jpg

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
LOOKS FANTASTIC.

when you get a chance, change out the gate valve for proper through hull.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
pclark....question, that volcano hose looks a might short, compared to others I've seen...the one I ordered from CD extends just under the winch (~twice as long)....could yours be an issue? (closer to waterline, just an observation)...

Boat looks great, congrats again on the cushion job, and that Liberty Lake is beautiful!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
@rpludwig: think that might be a bit of an optical illusion-- that's the stock hose from Catalina Direct. I will admit, and you can see from the bright white: my volcano tube was oddly thicker than average. I couldn't get a full bite on two hose clamps (only one could grab). Ultimately I whittled it down a bit gently to give me clearance. I would have to confirm, but the tube is just below the hatch board level. Could be that my tube is shorter than most?

@Apex -- indeed both gate valves are on the list, I have the original and factory fixed head in the v-berth with gate valve #2. Hence I ran everything 2" from the new cockpit sole i had to build from scratch.... then with a proper 2" through hull I'll have some fairly legit drainage.
IMG_0242.JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
pclarksurf,
I am hoping you can point me to a good source for the foam pads. Did you order bulk foam and cut your own or were they provided by someone pre-cut?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
Nice cushions! I'm about to embark on the cushion adventure. The upholsterer suggested using a mesh-like material for the bottoms of the cushions so they drain really easily if they get wet. It's also a dense foam but specially designed to let water drain out. I'll post the names when I find them.

Jul 13, 2015
Definitely a good idea if you plan on having them down below for any length of time. Not a huge concern for me -- but if I was keeping them on-board in the water I would think differently.

Jan 1, 2019
Catalina 25 Granite Bay
Wow looking great ! If I could plant a seed ! Take out the panel and replace it with new marine plywood with stain and watch how it changes the look of your interior ! This is a before and after on my Catalina 25.All the best IMG_0605.jpgIMG_0625.jpg