Interior stain for Pearson 36-2

May 15, 2016
Pearson 36-2 Biloxi, MS
We are restoring a Pearson 36-2 (1988) and had to replace teak plywood around ports. Any recommendations for type of stain that matches existing interior woodwork? Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Most woodwork down below will change colors over the years and be based on what POs and current owners have used to treat it. Even with a picture here, no one can guess.

Some varnish down below (I don't like it, but many do), some just use teak oil (my choice for the past 18 years on a 30 year old boat), and some have other concoctions.

Mahogany sometimes matches teak, sometimes it's too dark. I'm pretty sure they make a teak colored stain, too.

The most appropriate course of action would be to check out stains and finishes that work for YOUR eyes.

Good luck.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My wife used a great interior product on our 1986 P36-2 that matches and looks great. Ill have to ask her when she gets back from the boat and will let you know...... But Stu is right what fancies your eye is best

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Epiphanes "rubbed varnish effect" is what wife used on the interior......
Good luck!

Jimma

Nov 14, 2016
Pearson P33-2 Rockland
You should select a quality stain that will get you close. I like to use old masters gel or wiping stains. The colors can be mixed to get where you need to be. I used maple and a little special walnut. Then I like to use Sikkens door and window. This is a spin off product of the Cetols that we used on deck. There are three or four colors available. It has a little color to it so it tends to even out the color and brighten the whole interior.

May 15, 2016
Pearson 36-2 Biloxi, MS
Thanks for the replies. We went with Cetol Marine Natural Teak, and are very pleased with the look. This may not last as long as some products, but we found it easy to work with. On the exterior wood we are using this (3 coats) with 3 additional coats of the Cetol gloss. Also very pleased with this.