Interior Remodeling

Apr 18, 2017
Catalina Catalina 27 Boatyard Bar & Grill
Hi All

I just bought my first "big" sailboat--a 1982 Catalina '27. I am going to live aboard (marina side) on Lake Cayuga, in Ithaca, NY. Myself, and my unemployed dog, Buddy.

I am incredibly geeked.

I am somewhat handy, and want to do some interior modifications. I will be painting, and staining, where appropriate. One thing I would love to do is increase the sleeping space/length, and the general "openness" of the layout.

I know that I won't be using the stove, rarely if ever the sink, etc. And I literally have zero possessions as of current (sans laptop and unemployed dog)--so, I also believe some of the storage areas can be removed.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with anything similar? I am quite open to any process going forward.

I thank everyone in advance for any suggestions provided or experiences shared.

PS: the most important question I have--suggestions on best places to hang my 2 hammocks? I have seen several suggestions, and thought I'd ask some Catalina owners.

I have attached some photos of "Summer Snow"

Prof Eric & Buddy

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Try it as is for a while. I'll bet you will come to appreciate the stowage and galley real soon.
Make sure have plenty of ventilation when you start using chemicals.

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Justin

Thanks for the heads up on ventilation. I definitely don't need to pass out and be left to the decisions of Buddy.
I do plan on trying it as is, but thought I'd reach out and start getting some ideas, do's, don't do's, etc.

Many thanks for the reply,

Eric

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The PO of our boat removed the alcohol stove and put in a convection oven. That has been handy for our type of use.
That's a very nice looking boat. Have you got heat and air? Probably don't need A/C up there. Our CruiseAir a heat pump so it provides both. How are you set for a head? Can you pump out when you need to?

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Justin

There is no heat or air. I will be needing some heat come Fall, but I feel pretty fine with ambient cooling, some fans, and maybe a cheap little A/C unit. I will likely throw a canvas over the main body if docked for prolonged/very hot days.

So far as the head goes--I am not sure where to go on that. I have full access to the facilities at the Marina (and their Tiki Bar....ahem). While removing the head seems idiotic for future, as of yet unknown trips, I figure I will just use the Marina facilities until....I don't have to.

I do get pump outs included, as well as electrical and water. On the water--I have no idea to what extent the holding tanks are as "clean" as the broker states they are. I am somewhat hesitant to use them if not required to.

Let me know whatever thoughts you have.

The reason I am somewhat immediately interested in increasing sleeping length is that I am 6'6. I am used to being unable to fit places, but try and do what I can.

Eric

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
As someone who has spent LOTS of time sleeping in a hammock...work on making the berths usable. I am betting you can make that vee berth work on the diagonal. I would leave the head in place in case your dog decides to have his girlfriend sleep over..they like a place to squat. And she'll stick around more reliably if you server her warm chow.

Don't need to tell you, it is cold as billy-be-damned on that lake so the first thing I would do is figure out how to get a quality diesel heater installed. Preferably before the start of winter on August 12! Bottom line, don't go monkeying with the configuration - you will want it to look and work like a real boat when you finally come to your senses, put the boat up for sale, and move ashore in January.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There's a fellow named Phil on this forum who did a C27 remodel and put it all in one long thread. He did a great job re-configuring the galley.

Most people should pass along this caution to new boaters: many folks buy boats and then immediately start thinking of and making modifications, and many of them regret doing so. We suggest they live with what they bought for awhile, especially if they are new to boating. Those boats, most all boats, were designed they way they were for a reason. A small C27 will not have the same amenities as a smaller Dana 24 which could cross oceans. All boats are compromises based on the intended use they were designed for.
suggestions on best places to hang my 2 hammocks?
One guy with 2 hammocks? Or is Buddy a hammock kinda pup? :)

With your "traditional" interior layout (i.e., no dinette) is the starboard side settee one that slides out to make a double? Is it long enough for you? You can't take the forward bulkhead out without opening the head to the V berth and the port side cabinet is there. If you take it out, you'll eventually miss it.

Maybe that's why we also caution folks who are buying boats to get into the V berth or wherever they intend to sleep before they buy!:)

No idea about the hammocks. How long are they? Do they fit X-wise? Many folks on these size Catalinas came up with nifty "filler" pieces to make the entire saloon one level and a huge berth.

You should also be aware of the Catalina 27 Association, www.catalina27.org. Also Google Catalina27, there may be more websites.

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Stu

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah--I pretty much put up with my height, and make do accordingly. I plan on sleeping either on the pull-out benches, etc, or outside.

I am definitely not jumping straight into tearing things out. I can be impulsive, and shall resist. I did, however, want to get some ideas should I decide to.

Thanks for the thread--I will scope it out.

In terms of the hammocks--I actually meant outside! I've seen several folks attach from the main mast to whatever connection point is best (and strong enough). Last Summer, I did the Caribbean for 4 months, and just slept outside in a hammock with a mosquito net.

Two hammocks are for variety, or if I strongly anger a Lady friend. Yikes!

Do let me know, and talk to you soon.

Eric

Apr 18, 2017
Hey Kloudie

Thanks for the link--I appreciate it. I am just considering what can be done, should I so wish.

Everyone is being quite helpful thus far.

Eric

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Gunnie

Thanks for the heads-up. I had thought about that. For me...I don't mind running to the Marina. Not sure about any visitors Buddy may have.

You're familiar with Lake Cayuga?

Is there a SAFE heater you'd suggest? I definitely have visions of myself as a child burning pencils on an open faced electrical heater ribbons....

Eric

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Coldest 4 hour swim I ever took was a 10 minute dip in Cayuga! I know nothing about diesel heaters but a bunch of the guys on this forum have them, installed them and like them. Search the forum. You can swing a hammock from two pieces of webbing, one tied around the mast, the other around the fore sail. A Hennessy hammock is my go to bivy. Four-season, None better.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2017
Ha
I grew upon the Great Lakes, so Cayuga is a damn heated shower for me. Lake Superior is a cold, cold beauty.

Regarding the placement of the hammock as you note--does this cause chaffing? My physics memory is dated at this point, but would the moment/point forces created by the hammock be high? You've never had any issue with these two things?

Eric

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Why not stick with a new electric space heater since you get electric anyway. Underway in winter I could see another option. All the new heaters have tip over protection.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You use wrapped webbing (think seat belt material) to create the attachment point then lash the hammock taut. There is not a chaff problem.

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Gunni

Thanks for that--I figured it was something akin. Some of the newer, and eco friendly hammocks come with material designed to treat the trees nicely.

Thanks for the advice.

Eric

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
As a new boat owner myself... hunter 28.5... I've seen this same advice and decided I'd at first, just make sure the infrastructure of the boat was/is sound.

Seeing as how I did have mold issues... I removed, measured, then trashed the v-berth and quarter-berth cushions. So far the setee cushions seem okay.
I'm in the process of going through the whole DC system. As I work my way through that, I'm learning and thinking about what all might be attached to the DC system... so I can make sure I have enough wires, switches, fuses, and all to do it with.

I'm already looking at some things interior-wise I might like to remove/add, but those will just get filed away for later on after more important things are done.

As was suggested earlier... I am also taking care with my work keeping in mind that this being my first boat... I may change my mind all together about owning a boat, or decide to sell and up/down size. Basically I'll bring it back as close as I can to it's original state, then proceed with any mods from there. Having said that, if there is something I want to customize or add/subtract that isn't too involved... I might go ahead earlier than later.

Seems to me when making interior changes to a boat.. you need to first make sure you are not going to cause an issue with an important structure. Also... when mod'ing, removing, or adding structures... you may have to consider wiring and plumbing rerouting.
I keep in mind my weight distribution also.. but in my current situation... that's more about the battery placement for the house, o/b starter battery, and the ones I'll need for my electric motor conversion.

Apr 18, 2017
Hey Mac

Thanks for the advice. When did you get yours? From where? Private? Broker?

To my knowledge, and per the surveyor, I am in great shape. That said, it's in everyone's interest (but mine), to tell me that. I suppose I shall see as I go.

Do let me know,

Eric

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Hey Mac

Thanks for the advice. When did you get yours? From where? Private? Broker?

To my knowledge, and per the surveyor, I am in great shape. That said, it's in everyone's interest (but mine), to tell me that. I suppose I shall see as I go.

Do let me know,

Eric
Private sale. This boat was at one of the local marinas. We have 2.
I had the idea of sailing from way back, had an opportunity to sail some on a hobie cat 14, and finally got serious last year.
I searched up into Oregon and down into the Bay Area for boats, as well as local.
I saw boats that were in seriously bad shape... even on the water still!... boats that looked all original (using sites like Sailboat Data, and broker websites)... and boats that had owner mods done.
Some of those mods looked pretty good... but a few, well, I probably would have changed them myself after buying.

The biggest mod on my boat is having the Yanmar removed and the kit for an electric conversion sitting in boxes on the boat.
Second biggest mod on my boat appears to be the DC wiring jungle! lol
Third... the installation of a swing mount for a Merc' 9.9 o/b motor.

Mods I hope to make providing I keep the boat long enough...
1. Finish removing all vestiges of the former diesel propulsion unit. Planning on looking into replacing the fuel tank with more fresh water storage. But I won't remove the tank until I know the electric motor is a solid propulsion unit. Not sure yet what it takes to remove the fuel tank, but from other stories I've seen... it could be the kind of job you don't reverse if you change your mind after?
2. Glass in a riser for the house and starter batteries just enough to keep them out of a few inches of water should the cockpit locker ever flood.
3. Add a dodger/bimini/arch setup... I'll have to eyeball a few other people's rigs first to get a solid idea of what I'm wanting.
4. Removing the toilet and installing a composting toilet in the head. That will also lead to removing another tank and hoses.
5. L.E.D. lighting ALL OVER the boat... with appropriate housings for them... an Arduino-driven light show display linked to my stereo. ... okay.. just kidding about that last part... ;)

Other things like cabinet/locker changes, storage changes, Easy-Bake Oven install (seem to recall my sisters liked theirs when we were younger.. plus they're pretty compact ovens!), inflatable outriggers with trampolines (how cool would that be to hop from one side of the boat to the other? Plus I'd then have all the pluses of a Cat/Tri but with a Monohull!), Firehose mount that might accidentally look like a .50 cal gun mount (I can put out neighbor's boat fires and grill flameups while keeping strangers away from my boat... not that I'm antisocial or anything!)... those kinds of thing will have to wait a while... ;)

Apr 18, 2017
Yo
Yes--stereo linked (and bass heavy) lighting is a must. EVERYONE must know you are present, and alive. And cool.

The minor mods I am already in process of doing (i.e., getting the materials, crafting) are 1) a rail-mounted grill. And not one of those horribly over-priced marine ones. Granted, they are really pretty. 2) Some interior paint work, teak oiling, and fabric refinishing. 3) Serious thought into hammock placement on the outside (I plan to sleep out there when I can).

I am clearly a newbie to this, but I do learn quickly. Well...I think I do, at least.

I launch next week. Regarding that: some likely (super dumb) questions:

1) I purchased from a local broker, who also winterized, and will raise the mast.
2) Will they hand the boat over as "plug and play' as possible? Within reason, that is. Some fuel? Tanks cleaned and empty? Electrical charged? Or does this vary widely by marina? I will ask these questions, but thought I'd get informed offline, as it were, first.

I have a feeling I am going to learn quite a lot this Summer living aboard. I am totally geeked.

Eric