Interior paint

Jul 29, 2012
hunter 37 cherubini Apollo Beach
Guys,

Need to refinish my cabin. Looking for a good durable paint. Not sure if I should use a gelcoat or a two part epoxy or something else.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
I have a shower in the head so whatever I use it must be durable/waterproof.
There are many areas of repair. Epoxy, bondo, fiberglass. Whatever I use must be compatable.

Ideas?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A high quality exterior house paint is very suitable for interior boat paint. Have the paint person at Lowes or Home Depot add the anti-mildew/mold treatment to the paint that is often added for bathroom use. I've done this with several boats and had great results. The real work is the prep-work. Make sure all of your surfaces are very clean before painting.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I have used interlux bilge coat to finish some interior access boards that were very pourous open wood on my previous boat. It took several coats, but the results were outstanding. It is really bullet proof stuff. Maybe try the smallest can of it you can find and paint an unseen test area to see if you like the results. The nice thing about it is that it can paint over metal, wood, or fibreglass allowing you to have a constant finish throughout.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/bilgekote-info-usa-eng.pdf

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Any acrylic house paint will do well. Plenty of choices on color and gloss level plus you can get smaller size cans at any hardware store. Your interior dosnt get much uv or submerged conditions so don't over think it.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
The key to a good finish is in the prep. It's the least satisfying and the most work, but it makes all the difference between a great job and something that maybe might pass if you don't look close. Use quality products, there the least expensive in the long run. Some people may have good luck with the big box store brands, but there cheaper for a reason, and that reason is usually quality. Get a product that designed for your application and follow the instruction on the label. Don't cut corners, You'll pay for it if you do .

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I strongly recommend Pettit EasyPoxy semi-gloss white, with which I did my boat. Very easy to apply, very easy to clean, not expensive, looks like a million bucks.

I would stay (far) away from any household product from places like HoDePo for any seagoing yacht. The best solution is the product that knows its market and is made to keep customers in that market happy. Behr house paint isn't going to do that for your boat.

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
Every time I get a new sailboat I always go in and wax and buff the inside. It is a pain but it looks great and the cost is little.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
...I would stay (far) away from any household product from places like HoDePo for any seagoing yacht. The best solution is the product that knows its market and is made to keep customers in that market happy. Behr house paint isn't going to do that for your boat.
Unless I miss read the original post, we are talking about using this paint inside the cabin.

There are many contrary opinions on this subject and I'll confess to being on the other side of this issue. If you read the wooden boat forums or the DIY boat building forums, you will find many who have used exterior grade house paint with good success...both inside and outside the boat...I'll concede that in my studies on boat building, the only time I've seen exterior latex used outside of the boat was on wooden boats. But we are talking about using this paint on the inside of the boat. Buy the formulations with extended warranties....after all it is designed to be outside, exposed to the elements and UV light. So using it inside your boat surely meets the stress and abuse criterion of the paints formulation.

Here is a good write-up on the subject
http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html

Likewise, Reuel Parker in his famous Sharpie Book also recommends exterior grade house paint as did George Beuhler in his "Backyard Boat Building" book. Both of these renouned boat designers are working with wood so there is that difference. All-in-all using exterior grade house paint on boats is not an uncommon practice.

Likewise, paints formulated for automobiles are (by design) made to withstand extreme heat fluctuation, continuous flexing, and UV damage.... and automotive enamel or even rustoleum for that matter can give very good results if the preparation work is done well.

When you get right down to the actual formulation of paint, the difference in many paints that are labeled Marine vs non-marine is the price you are paying for the word "Marine".

Sep 30, 2012
Hunter 420 Passage Deltaville, VA
Any thoughts on painting the interior plastic bulkheads and headliners?

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Skip Lowes and Home Depot and go to Sherwin-Williams and get some oil base paint. Pick up an assortment of white color cards and choose the one that is the closest match.