Interior cushions & mattresses

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
For the 310 V-berth, can I just buy a queen size memory foam mattress and cut it to size? Anything else have to be done with the foam? Seems like it would be a cost effective option since there are so many sources of memory foam now aside from the very expensive tempurpedic. Has anyone done this? Am I missing anything?
bob

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
To those with 310s; do your aft cushions have a fabric 'hinge' in them (I assume to make it easier to get them out) and do they have vinyl bottoms? Is the vinyl necessary? Presumably it's to prevent the bottom from getting wet. Why, then, is there nothing similar for the fore berth (bare mattress). Just easier to keep dry?
The forward cushion has a hinge, the aft does not. Both have a vinyl bottom. Cleaning with a Bissell upholstery cleaner made a huge difference in appearance.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
I don't know how it works for mildew, but we were able to completely remove really bad diesel stink with Febreze.

When we bought Brio, the rear hatch had been left ajar and the aft cushions were terribly mildewed, cooked in the Texas heat. We washed the covers in the washer; warm water with a lot of OxyClean after soaking in tub in same. Nothing to lose. Air dried and they were really ok. Attempts to clean the foam were fruitless and we ultimately replaced. The covers did shrink a bit, so the new foam needed to be cut just a bit smaller. We did use the air mattress for a couple of seasons before replacing the foam. Works great, but after the first 5" mattress failed, it's hard to find a quality air mattress now that isn't so thick that our guests get claustrophobic. We find the hinged/split cushions makes it easier to get to filters, wiring, etc. under the berth without fighting or deflating the air matress.
We cleaned the forward innerspring mattress with a wet vac style rug/upholstery cleaner, using rug shampoo spiked with OxyClean and re-cleaning with plenty of plain water. Still fresh after 5 seasons. We do keep a rubberized flannel pad and regular mattress pad over the mattress just to keep splashes out. /Ed

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
My wife and I currently liveaboard our Hunter 31 (1984). A good nights sleep is essential, and our 30+ year old worn out v-berth cushions weren't cutting it. We sunk straight down to the fiberglass! The covers were newer though, so I decided to keep them. They were sized to fit 3.5" thick foam.

I did quite a bit of research online about what makes a good mattress, and also some trial and error in purchasing foam. In the end we are very pleased with how comfortable our foam is and it wasn't too expensive either. We purchased all the foam through foambymail (which appears to be the same company as thefoamfactory.com).

The basic premise behind our v-berth mattress was 3 layers: hard base (LUX HQ 1.5" thick, 50lb ILD), medium middle (HD36 HQ 2" thick, 35lb ILD) and soft top (super soft foam 2" thick, 12lb ILD). Keep in mind that ILD is "firmness," whereas density refers to how heavy the foam weighs (heavier density = higher quality). A very heavy foam can be very soft, and a very lightweight foam can be very firm, but would be inferior quality.

Here is the exact size/price breakdown of what we purchased:
1 Lux High Quality Foam - Full - 54" x 75" x 1/2" 14.99
1 Lux High Quality Foam - Full - 54" x 75" x 1" 28.99
1 HD36 High Quality Foam - Full - 54" x 75" x 2" 53.99
LABOR TO GLUE THE LUX-HQ & HD36-HQ PIECES
TOGETHER TO MAKE, (1 PC) 54" X 75" X 3-1/2" ($40)
That made a 3.5" Full size foam piece which we cut in 2 V-wedges to fit our V-berth cushions and they fit just right. Then, on top of our cushions we added the following topper: Super Soft Foam - King - 76" x 80" x 2" 53.99
Total foam cost: $191.96 w/ free S&H. This page shows their price breakdown: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/conventional.html

The reason we got King for the topper but Full for the base was because Full is all you need to cover the v-berth area if you're willing to cut the foam diagonally, which was fine for filling the old covers (our length was slightly longer than the Full 75", but for the "pointy" end that was short I just cut a small piece from the scrap to put down there and it filled the cover perfectly). For the Hunter 31 at least, King is what you need if you want to cut a single piece of foam to fill the V-Berth. I wanted our topper a single piece.

We did try egg carton foam as a topper at first since it was less expensive, but it didn't work. The 1.5" thick egg crate did basically nothing and so the bed was too firm.

All the foam was cut with a reciprocating cutting knife which went through like butter. However, when cutting foam in the 2" or less thickness I found we could get away with sharp scissors.

If we were making new covers for the V-berth, I would have foambymail glue the 3 layers together and use even numbers (2" thick for each layer) and have the new cover made to 6" thick. One thing to keep in mind this could reduce your head height in the v-berth if your original mattress was less than 6". If vertical space is at a premium some compromise could be made (such as having the middle layer only 1" thick). However, what I read was mattresses for adults should be at least 6" thick. Ours is 5.5" thick and I don't sink down anywhere near the bottom. It feels like I float on the plush topper! Btw, I'm about 180 and 6' tall, my wife is much shorter and lighter.

On the plus side of having a thicker mattress, you get more surface area because the hull is angled outwards as it goes up. For us, going from 3.5" to 5.5" thick gave us extra room in both the width and length of the V-berth. I also intentionally cut the topper even little oversized so it rides up an inch or so on the sides of the hull which gives even a little more.

For our bedding arrangement, we cover everything with a Queen fitted mattress cover, and then cover that with a fleece blanket and finally a quilt.

I shied away from memory foam because firmness changes based on temperature, and I figured there may be wide temperature variation depending on time of year, location of where we're cruising and I didn't want it to be comfy in winter and too soft in summer, or some such. Also, it is usually hot here in Florida, and one complaint about memory foam was that it tends to make you sweat more. However, many people use memory foam and love it.

As an aside, we found 50 ILB was the correct firmness for our 3.5" thick seat cushions. With 35 ILB we just sank to the bottom.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The forward cushion has a hinge, the aft does not. Both have a vinyl bottom. Cleaning with a Bissell upholstery cleaner made a huge difference in appearance.
Our C310 does not have cushions in the forward cabin. It is an honest-to-goodness mattress, cut to fit the raised surface of the bunk. This was one of the primary reasons we bought the C310. We planned to live aboard from time to time, and the size and shape of the forward cabin, with a real mattress appealed to us.
Mold has not been an issue, even after spending 5 years in Florida. The mattress is covered in a heavy plastic, and after 15 years of use, it is as good as new.
As for the aft cabin, there is no vinyl on the bottom of the cushions, and they are also in excellent condition. I like Jesse's idea of taking them out and keeping an air mattress on board. Pulling those cushions out to get access under the bunk is a major PIA, even though they are hinged.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@Manly , that was the most informative post I have ever read on creating a compound foam construction... I have often seen this process recommended, but never such detail on product selection and sources. You Sir are at forum contribution level = Pro.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Just wish there was a source for a replacement V-berth mattress for the C-310. Have not been able to locate such a thing.
bob

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
Just wish there was a source for a replacement V-berth mattress for the C-310. Have not been able to locate such a thing.
bob
Bob, I believe if you take measurements and sketch it on a piece of paper, Foambymail can cut out a multi-layered foam concoction precisely to those dimensions.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
bob
Bob, back in 2015 I had an email exchange with Dani Monterroso <Dani@catalinayachts.com> and got a quote for a 310 mattress. We didn't order one, but it sounded like they could provide it. Not cheap, however.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
bob
Check out the various foam mattresses in a box that exist. You can cut the foam with an electric carving knife or buy a foam cutter ($300). The key is the latex topper to keep the heat down. It's on our list to do in the next year. The problem is Home Depot sold out of the foam mattresses and haven't gotten any back in yet.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
For regular old furniture foam, places like Joanne Fabrics carries a supply. Wal-Mart may even have some in their fabric department.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice write up @Manly. Appreciate the info detail on the foam.
I found the need to get air under my mattress to prevent condensation from saturating the mattress. I went with HyperVent. It came in a roll and was easy to cut and shape for the V-Berth.
FBB20111-04D5-49FE-9C4D-AC86F5D15E06.jpeg 34507E9F-9155-4A63-9331-7E11E1B7CA39.jpeg

Info detail
HyperVent is the most practical solution to prevent condensation and wetness from forming beneath mattresses and cushions on boats.

HyperVent is a 39" wide x 3/4" thick lightweight polymer mesh, which is bonded to a breatheable fabric layer.
It provides a non-compressible open air space under your mattress, allowing plenty of dry air to circulate. The circulating air carries water vapor molecules away, and minimizes the possibility of condensation forming.

With a little thought, you can find many other uses for HyperVent on your boat — as a strainer under bilge pump intakes, at the bottom of rope and foul weather gear lockers, and anywhere else you want to separate gear from underlying wetness.

• Semi-rigid structure elevates mattress and bedding (even with a heavy person) allowing nearly unobstructed air flow
• Easy to cut (scissors work fine)
• Easy to join pieces to create wider or custom shapes, using adhesive applied to an overlapped fabric flap
• Easy to clean and dry if washed (very durable, unaffected by common soaps, hot water or steam cleaning)
• Very light weight (4.3 oz per square yard)
• Easy to roll up or bend through tight passageways
• Outlasts the life of any mattress
• Unaffected by freezing temperatures (it maintains its strength and flexibility)
• Comes in 39" width, and uncut lengths up to 50 ft; sold by the running foot​