Interesting Custom Catalina

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
IMG_20171016_092557681_HDR.jpg
I was looking across the dock on a pretty morning and noticed this Catalina. A 40 I think but maybe 42. Anyhow, it has a free standing rig like a Freedom. Obviously a factory custom job. I love free standing rigs after owning a Hunter Vision for nine years. Nice mod!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I walked over to have a better look. It is a Catalina 400. I thought it might be one of the Aero Rigs modified but it looks unmodified. However, it might use the same interior bulkheading etc...my surmising.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, I know. I was working on my dipole today and the halyard (spare) broke as I was bringing the antenna down to tune it. Dang. Now I have get another halyard up there. I have another one (spare) but this time I am going to replace it with better cordage. I guess the one I used (which I thought was good) deteriorated in the sun. :cry:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do you think factory? I would have guessed not.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Guaranteed factory. The Aero Rig was. The mast is stepped more forward, and there is no trace of chain plates (but for the forestay). So I am 90 percent sure she was not a conversion. The only thing that got me looking was a very fractional rig. So I first thought a late Freedom but then I saw the Catalina logo. Mast is a good five feet taller than the 42 next to her.

Nov 8, 2010
Guaranteed factory. The Aero Rig was. The mast is stepped more forward, and there is no trace of chain plates (but for the forestay). So I am 90 percent sure she was not a conversion. The only thing that got me looking was a very fractional rig. So I first thought a late Freedom but then I saw the Catalina logo. Mast is a good five feet taller than the 42 next to her.
How cool is that! Good to know. I like free standing rigs (like the Freedoms) in general, just two downsides, 1) don’t point for crap in a breeze, and 2) nothing to hang onto when you need to pee!

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
interesting it is missing a portlight near the mast. my catalina 400 has 3 ports forward of the salon windows. maybe they added a wider bulkhead to support that thick mast!
mike

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
How cool is that! Good to know. I like free standing rigs (like the Freedoms) in general, just two downsides, 1) don’t point for crap in a breeze, and 2) nothing to hang onto when you need to pee!
looks like there might be a "form" of running back, with at least a 3:1 purchase forward cockpit. With the block that high, a good handhold highside may be had, albeit against the norm procedure of low-side and never INTO the wind.

Nov 8, 2010
looks like there might be a "form" of running back, with at least a 3:1 purchase forward cockpit. With the block that high, a good handhold highside may be had, albeit against the norm procedure of low-side and never INTO the wind.
I saw that too and it’s wierd. Would need one on each side, and being so far forward places unnecessary compression on the rig when loaded. Maybe some sort of gear/kayak lift?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe this was a one-off "beta" version to see if the idea flew with the buyers?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
What I liked: simplicity, great reaching, easy power off by furling the jib, easy single handling, room for a flat-top main, no spreaders to hassle running, very quiet in a seaway, depowers in puffs. What not: not much to hang on to going forward, small A-sails, huge main to handle, no spreader flag halyards. It was nice for casual sails with non-sailing friends on just the main. She was slow when pinching up.