Instruments and Interfacing them

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've been reading Jesse's thread on an auto pilot upgrade for his C310 and other threads on interfacing speed, wind and depth instruments with chart plotters & VHS radios.
The geek in me wants to learn more about the advantages to do so.

My C30 has Autohelm ST50 Depth, Speed and ST50Plus Wind instruments. These are connected to each other. I also have a ST400 AP which I don't think is connected to the other three. Updating to an EV100 Wheel Pilot is a consideration if the current fails or if there is enough of an improvement in performance to warrant the cost. My current understanding is there is not.

I understand from another thread that i can interface the ST50 instruments with my Garmin 547XS which has NEMA 2000 as well as WiFi and Bluetooth.

I only do bay sailing at this point so I have no need for route planning and setting a route for the AP to follow. I hope to get out in the ocean and sail up and own the coast but only has a day sail at this point.

1. I'm wondering what other advantages there would be in interfacing all the instruments together?
2. If the AP is not interfaced with the wind instrument, can it be so it steers better by have the known wind direction?
3. Can the wind instrument pull speed from the GPS chart plotter so I don't have to rely on the paddle wheel speed instrument?
4. Radio has its own GPS for DSC. Is it better to interface radio with GPS chart plotter for a reason?

I'm just wondering if I am missing a feature/s I could use if I do interface for my type of sailing.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
2. If the AP is not interfaced with the wind instrument, can it be so it steers better by have the known wind direction?
Definitely a plus to have the wind instrument interfaced with the AP. Lets you steer by wind angle and very useful to keep head to wind while hoisting/dousing the main, particularly when sailing short handed.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
1. I'm wondering what other advantages there would be in interfacing all the instruments together?
Don't underestimate the cool factor!
I think interfacing with the wind instrument would be very nice. You'd want the steering to make adjustments for wind veers. It's not a racing feature, for sure, but it would make life nice on the bay. I think wind directions can be rather shifty.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
3. Can the wind instrument pull speed from the GPS chart plotter so I don't have to rely on the paddle wheel speed instrument?
4. Radio has its own GPS for DSC. Is it better to interface radio with GPS chart plotter for a reason?
2) For sure. Setting the AP so it drives to apparent wind allows long stretches without having to trim.

3) Probably not. The Wind Instrument is probably only looking for the NMEA VHW (Water Speed @ Heading) sentence that the knotlog produces. If it also will use the VTG sentence it will, but I doubt it.

4) Not really, unless the radio has bad reception due to mounting location.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

It seems like the Autohelm ST50 instruments support SeaTalk, so with the right cables you can interface your current instruments to a NMEA200 / SeatalkNG network. If you were to install an Evo 100 AP, and tied your existing instruments together, And have modern plotter like the 547, you would be able to
-Display true and apparent wind (the plotter can use paddlewheel or GPS speed for this function)
-Have the AP steer to a compass heading, wind angle, or waypoint (assuming you have a chart plotter)
-Have the AP navigate a route

If you also interface your DSC VHF and your plotter you will be able to display DSC vessels on the screen,

Good luck,
Barry

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sorry for the delay in responding but it was not a lack of interest.

Definitely a plus to have the wind instrument interfaced with the AP. Lets you steer by wind angle and very useful to keep head to wind while hoisting/dousing the main, particularly when sailing short handed.
I think interfacing with the wind instrument would be very nice. You'd want the steering to make adjustments for wind veers. It's not a racing feature, for sure, but it would make life nice on the bay. I think wind directions can be rather shifty.
2) For sure. Setting the AP so it drives to apparent wind allows long stretches without having to trim.
-Display true and apparent wind (the plotter can use paddlewheel or GPS speed for this function)
-Have the AP steer to a compass heading, wind angle,
Well, that is an overwhelming response why I should tie it all in so, it will be.

For some reason most of the C30s I looked like have the ST4000 display mounted in the T of the cockpit wall. I need to pull the display, see if it is connected now and if not, make it so.

I'm also thinking about upgrading to the Raymarine Axiom 7 MFD as part of this project. I've been reading good things about them and with a AV-200 AP in the future, I like to stay with one manufacturer instead of mixing and matching.

And if for no other reason for the upgrades,
Don't underestimate the cool factor!

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I'm also thinking about upgrading to the Raymarine Axiom 7 MFD as part of this project.
One of the cool features of many newer chart plotters with wireless, including the Axioms, is that they can sync with Navionics Plus, running on PC or mobile. Navionics Plus has an awesome automatic route planning function that produces a serices of waypoints that takes you from dock-to-dock, avoiding land and shallows and obstacles. It doesn't take the need to tack or jibe into account, but it's a great starting point for planning with with multiple waypoints.

However, I have a reservation about touch screens in bad weather. Many of the Axioms have touch screens only, without any mechanical button or controls. Touch screens are super convenient and completely functional most of the time, but some, perhaps not all, are hard to use in bumpy or rainy conditions. A hybrid screen has mechanical buttons and/or dials and/or a joystick, as well as a touch screen. The mechanical controls aren't as intuitive as the touch screen, but they work in all conditions.

Judy B

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The touch part of my e7D Ray chartplotter is the most unreliable. I often resort to a power cycle to get “home”

Les