Registered users don't see ads

Installing accessories over engine bay insulation

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Sefuller, Jan 23, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    357 posts, 58 likes
    Oday 34, 39
    US Milwaukee
    First boat with insulation in the engine bay. Fuel filter, fuel pump and other miscellaneous items are mounted to the sides, through bolted to the aft cabins. I need to reconfigure the arrangement and add a few items - mostly buss bars - but don't want the aft cabins to look like swiss cheese. I'm thinking about making a plywood mounting board (sealed and painted) and using some of the existing holes to attach it with stand-offs so it doesn't squish the insulation, then I can get everything off the insulation and onto the board. Any issues with this idea, or any better suggestions?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,110 posts, 3,330 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Scott. Check out this. I looked at it and it is in my product list when I insulate my engine room and do the electrical refit.
    http://www.weldmountsystem.com/

3. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    357 posts, 58 likes
    Oday 34, 39
    US Milwaukee
    I've seen those, but I've seen some reports of them not always holding and since I will have fuel and electrical stuff on the mounting board I don't want to take any chances. I'd also have to cut through the insulation to install them. I'd prefer something where I can use some of the existing bolt holes to attach a new mounting platform.

4. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    1,290 posts, 209 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Some pictures would help for informed recommendations.

5. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    357 posts, 58 likes
    Oday 34, 39
    US Milwaukee
    Not sure this will help, but this is the area where I want to re-arrange the existing items and secure the new items. Also pictured is the backside of the engine bay/aft cabin bulkhead with all of the fasteners. I'm not crazy about how everything mounted to the bulkhead compresses the insulation, so I'm wondering if it is feasible to fasten another plywood panel using some of the existing fastener holes, and using stand-offs so that the insulation isn't compressed. Then all the items that need mounting could be screwed directly to the plywood panel instead of the bulkhead.

Attached Files:

6. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,144 posts, 1,420 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    I wouldn't worry too much about compressing some insulation. That insulation is for sound deadening, not for heat protection.

I would be concerned about the AC outlet in a metal box and I would be concerned about the type of wiring you plan to install in the engine compartment. The heat in the engine compartment will increase the resistance of any wiring runs that go through the compartment. Increased resistance leads to voltage drop, so wires and cables will have to be sized to compensate.

7. Dalliance

Dalliance

Joined Oct 6, 2007
    637 posts, 79 likes
    Hunter 1982 H30 Cherubini
    US Chicago (Burnham)
    I’ve had success with cutting small wood mounting blocks into the insulation where I need them and sealing them with Mylar tape. That way the accessories are mounted over solid blocking and don’t crush the insulation.

If you create a mounting board in front of the insulation, you minimize the locations where the insulation is either crushed or interrupted, but you will have placed a noise reflecting surface in front of your otherwise sound absorbing insulation, which defeats part of it’s purpose. You will also effectively reduce the size of you engine compartment where every inch counts.

Bus bars in the engine compartment? Not sure what is going on there, and I am no electrician, but I think of bus bars as something that belongs in a reliably dry location behind an electrical panel or at least behind a cover of some sort.

Attached Files:

8. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,234 posts, 943 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    @Sefuller you need a metal bowl on your fuel filter.

Sefuller likes this.
  9. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    357 posts, 58 likes
    Oday 34, 39
    US Milwaukee
    I'm making my way through the wiring updates, installed a new charger, new batteries, battery switch, ACR, service disconnect, replaced the trailer connectors, removed about 500 feet of abandoned and improper wiring. Still have a few things to address as you noted however :) All of the wiring in the engine bay is sized at or above Blue Sea Systems recommendations for use and location.

Tom J likes this.
  10. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    357 posts, 58 likes
    Oday 34, 39
    US Milwaukee
    @LeslieTroyer shamed me into buying a Racor 500MA to replace the 500FG that is there currently. Fortunately I was able to find an uninstalled used one for less than the cost of adding a bowl to mine :)

11. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,234 posts, 943 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    There is no shame in being safe!!!

Sefuller and jssailem like this.
  12. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    357 posts, 58 likes
    Oday 34, 39
    US Milwaukee
    There were so many glaring wiring deficiencies that to be honest I hadn't even given a thought to the Racor, so thanks for pointing it out.

Hello Below likes this.
  13. cagreen75

cagreen75

Joined Nov 6, 2017
    22 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Stratford
    I would compress the insulation behind some sort of spacer and I would be sure to seal the area of compression to insure that in the event that some kind of failure, say a fuel leak would not get behind the insulation.

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.