Installing A Solbian Solar Panel

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
MaineSail... Thank you for your reply, 2 questions... 1) what type of Velcro was used? Polyester or Nylon and 2) what was used to adhere the Velcro to the Solar Panel? Thanks.. Jon

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
We went with MainSails recommendation for Solbian spring of 2014. AND VERRY HAPPY WITH OUR PURCHASE.
Two panels Bimini mounted. Our sailmaker recommended the Velcro flap only on the fwd and aft (long) edges. He felt leaving the short sides open would be better for allowing any water to drain out and reduce mold growth under the panels.
Sailed NE 2014 summer and to Fla fall/winter and NE all 2015 and 16 summer. Never a problem.
As Main has stated shadow from boom greatly reduces output. - Our boom extends over part of the bimini so we had to make sure it was tied to keep shadow off when we were moored/anchored.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Newport...

Looking forward to installing our 100W panel.
How was the Velcro strip attached to the solar panel? glued?

Thanks.. Jon

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
How was the Velcro strip attached to the solar panel? glued?
Jon, I followed MaineSail's post when I installed a 170W Gioco semi-flexible panel last spring. I used 3m hook and loop on all 4 edges with the lapels. I sewed one strip of hook to the top of the lapels and sewed one strip of loop to the bottom of the lapels. On the panel top edges I used one strip of loop and on the bottom I used one strip on hook. The 3m Velcro that I used is made for outdoor use (thus water and UV resistant) and rated for temperatures to 200F, although the edges of the panel should never reach that high. The Velcro is sold by the foot and any good canvas outlet should stock it. Pricey but well worth it and easy to use. Yes, I used the adhesive then sewed it to the sunbrella lapel material with UV resistant thread. I believe this is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-SJ...2532&sr=8-5&keywords=3M™+Hook+Fastener+SJ3572

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I believe this is what I used:
Or maybe it was the 3M SJ3576/SJ3577. Either tape would do but the latter are polyester and thus improved water resistance but giving up closure life cycle (1,000 polyester vs 5,000 for nylon). Whoopy!

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hello Below... Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to get going on this project! -Jon