Registered users don't see ads

Inspecting standing rigging

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by john6206, Sep 24, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. john6206

john6206

Joined Feb 19, 2008
    74 posts, 7 likes
    Catalina Capri 18
    US ann arbor
    It's easy to see what is wrong - knowing what needs to be replaced requires experience that I don't have.

Inspecting the rig on the new (used) boat. The forestay is unwinding at the top end, about 5 inches - likely due to the roller furling. The port lower shroud has several broken wire strands. Some of the hardware is bent, the turnbuckles and some of the t-fittings.

The backstay seems like it's in good shape. The uppers seem pretty good, although they are not particularly connected to the spreaders very well.

I think I need to replace the lowers and the forestay. I was kind of shocked at the price from Catalina Direct. But I'm tempted to replace all of the standing rigging. It would be expensive, but it might be valuable to replace it all at once (thinking re-sale value and peace of mind).

Not sure how old the boat is, it is hull number 467.

Any advice?

2. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    3,123 posts, 411 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    Try Rigging Only in Fairhaven, MA. Great prices, superb turn around.

3. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    5,183 posts, 361 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    It certainly is expensive but it's more expensive to not replace it. And it sounds like yours is "past due".

Gene Neill likes this.
  4. repawn

repawn

Joined Jul 28, 2014
    73 posts, 7 likes
    Oday 22
    US Milwaukee
    I will second rigging only - replaced all standing rigging - plus new open turnbuckles for under $500 on my O'Day 22 with shipping.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.