Info on Maine cruising Desert island region or contiguous regions

Nov 8, 2014
MacGregor 26S Chateauguay
Good morning fellow cruisers, I'm writing from a campsite in beautiful Bass Harbour ME. We love the area so much we decided to trailer our Mac26S to this region next summer. Can anyone suggest a marina or mooring spot that we could use as a staging area. We would need a place to park our truck and trailer for a week or ten days and a mooring spot in a well protected area. Alternatively we can always stay on the hook in a bay as long as we can land our dingy nearby. I've already posted this request in the MacGregor forum but no suggestions so far.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Northeast Harbor might be a good choice. A mooring rental includes dinghy tie up, great shower facilities, ice, etc. You might be able to park your truck and trailer in the large lot they have (maybe an additional fee). There is a launch ramp right in the harbor for you to haul and launch.
Then you have the free bus system to take you anywhere in the area for hiking and such.

It's very protected and everything you need, is right there.

Nov 8, 2014
Thanks Tomy
Unfortunately we just left the area but your suggestion sounds really good. I'll try to contact the harbour master in Northeast Harbor just to start making plans for next year. We really loved the area and will certainly go back with our boat instead of our camper.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I just got back from renting a house on Mount Desert Island and hiked Catallac mountain, and others. The area looks like it would be great to trailer to and spend the week sailing around. I particularly liked the look of the Cranberry Islands to explore. I hope you will keep us updated on your experiences.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2014
Thanks Will, we too loved the area and agree that it would be fabulous to sail there. We did some research with the harbour master in Bar Harbor and found out that overnight stays at a transient dock are about 30$ And moring balls around the island are about 20$ a night, which is not bad considering how expensive the area is. Our other option, more suited to our Canadian pockets would be to sail the Magellan strait and cross to Prince Edward Island at its narrowest point. We'll see, plenty of time to plan and daydream while shoveling snow

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I stay for weeks at a time in the Acadia park area and never pay for moorings. There are plenty of good places to anchor and gain access to free dinghy docks and walk to the bus system to ride everywhere.
Sorry, I can't help with trailer parking.

Nov 8, 2014
I stay for weeks at a time in the Acadia park area and never pay for moorings. There are plenty of good places to anchor and gain access to free dinghy docks and walk to the bus system to ride everywhere.
Sorry, I can't help with trailer parking.
Thanks, that sounds a lot more affordable especially since we are retired and on a budget, I don't think trailer and vehicle parking should be a problem... Though we didn't take much advantage of it, the free bus system was great and that is a definite plus in the equation.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Northeast harbor is a good choice. If you want to explore Mt. Desert, you can take a free shuttle from there anywhere on the island.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just the Mt. Desert area, though. We launched at Rockland last summer (great launch and free parking, BTW), and cruised all over the area. My wife put a link to this PDF she put together on the Trailer /sailor's association face book group's page:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cpbb9s_x1YQkVpM2VuTFNhQUU/view

Penobscot Bay is one of the best cruising grounds anywhere. Have fun. Also, make sure you pick up a copy of Cruising guide to the Maine coast before you go:

https://www.mainecoastguide.com/

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Northeast harbor is a good choice. If you want to explore Mt. Desert, you can take a free shuttle from there anywhere on the island.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just the Mt. Desert area, though. We launched at Rockland last summer (great launch and free parking, BTW), and cruised all over the area. My wife put a link to this PDF she put together on the Trailer /sailor's association face book group's page:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cpbb9s_x1YQkVpM2VuTFNhQUU/view

Penobscot Bay is one of the best cruising grounds anywhere. Have fun. Also, make sure you pick up a copy of Cruising guide to the Maine coast before you go:

https://www.mainecoastguide.com/
Thanks sent to your wife for putting together a log of your trip. I enjoyed it. It's always interesting to see how others view your home waters. What was the story behind the sinking mobo?

Rockland, on the western shore of the bay, is a good 'base camp'. The prevailing winds in Penobscot Bay favor heading East and West. Because the bay is so big, you often don't need to back track, and can sail a near circle down east and back to Rockland through the various routes.

You also have Rockport as a good base for trailer sailing. Boat launch, long term parking, showers, laundry facilities, ample public docks, free wifi.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Penobscot Bay is one of the best cruising grounds anywhere.
My father had a little converted 17' sun cat named Puff. He had a bow spirit put on her to convert her to a sloop, a keel and a small volvo engine installed. He sailed her from Clearwater Fl. to Boothbay Me. Kept her on a trailer here in NH until he sold her. Years ago.
Before that, we lived aboard a 56' schooner in Clearwater when we sailed to Rockland where my father took a Summer job as an instructor at Hurricane Island Outwardbound. We had a great time sailing around Vinelhaven, even across to Nova Scotia. I agree, some of the best cruising anywhere.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
What was the story behind the sinking mobo?
They took a shortcut near Buckles harbor. Something about hitting an uncharted rock. Not sure where they tried to go through. Anyhow, someone towed them over to the island, and they tried to get it beached on the only sandy spot. It was a sad sight to see, as the tide was coming in when we took the pic. They had one tow company come in, and they sent them away. A second one (towboat us) came in, and the part of the conversation I heard was the towboat captain saying "I'll tell you the same thing the other guys said..."

They finally reached an agreement, while the coast guard ship was standing by waiting. The tow boat took the people on the swamped boat back with them. About 2 am, in pea soup fog, I heard a boat tow it out. They put a temporary patch in the hull when the tide went out, I guess.

BTW, we thoroughly enjoyed sailing in your neck of the woods, Tom. An unforgettable trip. I'm sure we'll be back.