Inflatable pdf for a buxom woman?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Ladies,

I'm looking for an inflatable pdf that fits me well. I'm 5' 3" and buxom - a matronly shape. I've got a Stohlquist foam (non-inflatable) that is designed specifically for women, and it fits very comforatbly and isn't bulky,

I haven't found an inflatable that fits decently. The inflatable ones I've tried extend past my waist in front, and they protrude so far at the bottom that the pdf hinders my ability to move around the boat.

This isn't a picture of me, but the picture of the woman on the left shows the problem. The front bottom of the pdf sticks out far enough to catch on shrouds and other stuff.

Thank in advance,
Judy

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
One size doesn't fit all!
I am 6' 5" and 300 lbs and find there are no big and tall inflatable PFDs. So the Inflatable look even sillier on me, but I still wear it. The problem you are describing is similar to why large men need longer ties to go around their ample front. When inflatables first came out I remember seeing some that were longer but they were expensive so I didn't buy them. Now I can't find them at all. Doing a quick look , there is this model, see link below that has a corner piece to it that might help keep it closer to your body. I haven't tried them so I don't know how'll they fit.
https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Manual-Inflatable-Jacket-Carbon/dp/B0040QXQB0

Also, you might look at models that have a groin strap to keep the front pulled down.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
It's a problem. The chest band is tragically, dangerously loose. Also, the instructions will tell you that the strap must be on the sternum if it is a combination harness/PFD. I don't see how it can be made remotely safe without leg loops. Without them, it will ride up and over and off.

(I like your boat choice--you may enjoy my blog. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Judy,

My former sailing partner had a similar issue. She found that the Spinlock Deskvest fit well over her chest, and with the included legstraps it would not ride up. We pool tested them at a USsailing SAS class.

Jun 25, 2004
Judy,

My former sailing partner had a similar issue. She found that the Spinlock Deskvest fit well over her chest, and with the included legstraps it would not ride up. We pool tested them at a USsailing SAS class.
Thanks, Jackdaw. How tall is she? Would it stay down without the straps?

Judy

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks, Jackdaw. How tall is she? Would it stay down without the straps?

Judy
She's tall, say 5"10'. She could adjust the Deckvest torso strap so it would be comfortable and stay down as well as any inflatable PFD would without leg straps, but she didn't like the way it looked; kinda like something that an amazon princess might wear to battle. So she loosened it a bit and always wore the leg straps, which are recommended anyway.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Judy, have you considered the waist-only models? Some of "us gentlemen" have protuberances that, while somewhat lower, provide similar challenges. :poke:

The best advice I've received over the years has been to treat the edge of your deck as a 500 foot cliff!

I sailed for over 25 years on SF Bay. I raced for a number of years where jackets were mandatory not only for the races but for coming and going to & from the races themselves. We opted for the inflatables, which sometimes didn't fit quite right until I cut down on the beer (after sailing, of course!).

I once was behind the wheel and as I was moving forward I felt a tug, but instead of finding out what was hindering my move, I just kept going. The jacket inflated!!! I looked down at the yellow handle, which read; "Jerk to Inflate."

How fitting.

Good luck in your search, please let us know what you find that works for you. My experience with the newer inflatables is, in addition to Tom's point about there being no "Rochester Big & Tall" for us guys, that they are even shorter than the older models and are not comfortable at all around the neck. If you can't find an inflatable that works, consider the regular ones. Downside is that they are usually hot but on The Bay that may not be much of an issue except in September, October or sometimes January.

Jun 25, 2004
I once was behind the wheel and as I was moving forward I felt a tug, but instead of finding out what was hindering my move, I just kept going. The jacket inflated!!! I looked down at the yellow handle, which read; "Jerk to Inflate."

How fitting.
LOL, Stu!

I have a very comfy Stohlquist womens regular pfd. Fits perfectly without squishing my chest. And it doesn't ride up much. It's fine for SF Bay.

I'd like an inflatable for hot days in Southern CA or the Sacramento River Delta.

JudyB

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I set my wife up with the Spinlock Deckvest last year for all the same reasons. She loves it and it is an improved design, drawing the bladder pouch to the center, about naval high. If I didn’t already have a locker full of Mustang inflatables in perfectly serviceable state I would get one for myself.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Judy,

http://www.apsltd.com/deckvest-5d-hammar-170n-pfd-w-harness.html

Just looking at the unique design, I would agree that the Spinlock Vest should address your problems. they come with an integrated harness too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Some Spinlock Deckvests have harness loops some don’t. The Deckvest Lite does not. Comes in cool colors too.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I thought Buxom women came standard with integrated flotation devices.:rolleyes:

Jun 25, 2004
I set my wife up with the Spinlock Deckvest last year for all the same reasons. She loves it and it is an improved design, drawing the bladder pouch to the center, about naval high. If I didn’t already have a locker full of Mustang inflatables in perfectly serviceable state I would get one for myself.
@Gunni
Thank you for the post. Would you happen to have a picture of her wearing the Deckvest? And how tall is she?
JudyB

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
unfortunately I do not have a shot of her wearing the vest. (Need to work on deck safety compliance!) She is 5’8”

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The spinlocks work well in my experience, as long as the crotch straps are used. This includes an actual MOB on one of my boats. Not using the crotch straps on a spinlock has led to some documented performance failures - http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/DARoot/Offshore/SAS/PDF/2013 Islands Race Report.pdf

Any inflatable needs to be inspected & repacked periodically. I have seen bladder leaks develop in areas where the material is folded, after the vest has been worn on a regular basis for a year or two.

Last edited: