Registered users don't see ads

In Search of Used/Old Sails

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by JB1473, Feb 14, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. JB1473

JB1473

Joined Feb 14, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 19
    US CA SD
    I would be grateful to anyone who could guide me toward a source for used sails. I am in search of a durable textile to repurpose and give it new life in a eco-friendly design project. Perhaps this question has been posed here before. I thank you in advance for all of the help. Sails with prints, design and letters desired. If anyone is interested in donating or selling, I would love to talk. ~Jess B

2. Drew13440

Drew13440

Joined May 6, 2004
    169 posts, 10 likes
    - -
    US Potomac
    Google Bacon's Sails, Annapolis

3. John Tubb

John Tubb

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    473 posts, 87 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Huntsville, AL Guntersville, AL
    If this is a school thing I'd go to a local sailing marina or club and see if you can give out a flyer or talk at a meeting. I just sent my old sails to Seabags in Maine and they are sending me 2 bags from my original sails for all the material I sent them (original main and jib).

Will Gilmore and JB1473 like this.
  4. jmce1587

jmce1587

Joined Mar 20, 2011
    214 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 31_83-87
    US Kemah
    Also check boaters resale shop of Texas located in Kemah Texas.

5. JB1473

JB1473

Joined Feb 14, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 19
    US CA SD
    Appreciate it. Will do.

6. DannyS

DannyS

Joined May 27, 2004
    887 posts, 26 likes
    Oday 35
    US Bayfield, Wi
    If it doesn't have to be sail material, try contacting your local billboard advertising company. The company name is typically on the bottom of the billboard. The fabric used to print the billboard is very durable and you'll have a better chance of finding interesting patterns and graphics.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    1,346 posts, 439 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
    Do you think a sail for a backyard boat project could be made from that material? Something like a home made ice boat?

- Will (Dragonfly)

8. DannyS

DannyS

Joined May 27, 2004
    887 posts, 26 likes
    Oday 35
    US Bayfield, Wi
    People make sails out of Tyvek and Tarps! The billboard fabric will work but you might want to use it as your storm sail for the ice boat because it's probably heavier than the sail cloth.

JB1473 and Will Gilmore like this.
  9. John Tubb

John Tubb

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    473 posts, 87 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Huntsville, AL Guntersville, AL
    When I was in Maine bonus points for using different colored tarp was given! Think about a nice green camo pattern on that ice sail!

10. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    395 posts, 103 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    Profile says your in San Deiego. Minnies in Costa Mesa has thousands of used sails. For a non-sail project you may be able to sweettalk em on some of the older ones. Heck, I've got an old main I'd give away if you want - PM me.

JB1473 likes this.
  11. JB1473

JB1473

Joined Feb 14, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 19
    US CA SD
    Yes, I am now in San Diego. I have called Minnies. Great resource. I'll send you a note re: the main you referenced. Thank you. ~Jessica

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.