in mast verses dutchman

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom harrison

My parter and I are looking into a new catalina 36mkII. We would love to hear feed back on in mast verses dutchman especially from a performance perspective. Any other insight would be appreciated also. Thanks

E

Ernie A

In mast is "furling-reefing"; dutchman is "faking"

Hi, Tom-- I have the Dutchman on my C-42. It only fakes (flakes) the sail on the boom and rather well -- just as its adverts claim. I rather like it. I tie in juffy reefs when sail needs shortening. With the inmast furling, like a roller-furling jib, you can shorten sail by infinate amounts and when shortened completely it is furled. There is more control of the sail while furling. To my knowledge, racers do not embrased in-mast furling. Apparently, a loose-footed main is not as efficient as a main foot that lies in a boom-track. Also, there is always the fear that if the partially furlled sail gets jammed.... But then, my roller-furling jib has never jammed. Have fun deciding-- Ernie April

R

Rico

Weight aloft

Many sailors shy away from mast reefing to avoid too much weight aloft. Also, the larger surface area of the mast necessary to accomodate the sail means increased windage. Racers want to acheive the smoothest possible airflow into the mainsail, and in-mast reefing is a step in the opposite direction. Cruisers might go for the ease and convenience (so long as it is properly functioning). An alternative would be in-boom reefing. At any rate the important question is this..."If this product/mechanism/equipment fails can I effectively deal with it?" Happy decisionmaking--Rico

C

Claude McKernan

Performance - No Contest

From a performance perspective, there is simply no contest. In mast furling means you give up battens and the extended roach they provide, and thus sail area and shape, which equal performance. You gain ease of use (as long as it's working right). If you are reasonably able bodied, you should be able to deal with a conventional main especially with a Dutchman or similar flaking system and slab reefing. With this setup, you may also want to go with a full battened main, if performance is what your after. They flog around less, provide nicer sail shape, and settle on the boom much nicer with a Dutchman. I am awaiting the Nov 99 delivery of my new 470, which will have a full battened main. Good luck. Claude McKernan

G

Gerry Hull

IN MAST ISSUE... ALTERNATIVES

HI; SEE MY RESPONSE IN JUNE ABOUT "DOYLE SAILS" IN MAST SAILS. THEY ADDRESS MOST OF THE PERFORMANCE ISSUES YOU RAISE. WAY FASTER THAN MOST IN MAST FURLERS AND OF COURSE WAY MORE AREA. ABSOLUTELY BEST WAY TO GO IS A FULLY BATTENED MAIN WITH LAZY JACKS. DUTCHMAN IS FUSSY AND NEEDS TO BE 100% INTO THE WIND IN SMOOTH SEAS TO WORK AS ADVERTISED. ANYTHING WILL WORK IN THESE CONDITIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.