In mast roller furling problem

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The later models of the C-310 have "fixed" vang. It can only be adjusted by rotating the barrel of the vang by hand. Not very useful. Catalina went to the fixed vang due to folks not setting the correct boom angle.

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
The later models of the C-310 have "fixed" vang. It can only be adjusted by rotating the barrel of the vang by hand. Not very useful. Catalina went to the fixed vang due to folks not setting the correct boom angle.
Stupid is As Stupid Does; Forrest Gump

KZW

May 17, 2014
That definitely won't help you. The boom should be angled up at least 7 degrees

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
I'm sure this question has come up before but I couldn't find the thread: my furling main was taken off for the winter and now there is lots of noise coming from, I presume, the foil or something within the mast. Is that normal? Any recommendations? I had read somewhere that some place padding about half way up the mast or similar.
I emailed Charleston Spar (or the company that took it over) so hope to get a reply this week.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The boom should be angled up at least 7 degrees
The angle of boom is determined by the CUT of your main sail. My foot to luff angle is ≈80° so my boom is ≈10°.

The reason for releasing the main sheet and vang is...

The boom car cannot force the main, at an angle, to cause a jam at the foot!

My best description is that the boom "floats" while the main freely furls.

Maximum furled sail diameter is at the FOOT!

You can even see my mast "prebend" with the gold and purple lines.
NewFurling.jpg

Jim...

PS: My pict says Minimum diameter of sail, but I meant was "minimized" while furling.

KZW

May 17, 2014
I can only tell you that Charleston Spar, the maker of the C-310 Mast and furling system, told me "at least 7 degrees". I didn't make the number up.