In Mast Mainsail Furler

Eureka

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter Vision 32 Yellowknife
Considering a Hunter 33 with In Mast Mailsail roller furling. How reliable is it? Any problems with failure on furling? Sail Life? Performance re: lack of roach?

Thank you very much.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
When someone inevitably writes saying they never had a problem with their furler, always remember to insert the word "yet" on the end of their sentence

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Probably never have an issue with it in Yeller-knife. You'll get to use it once a year. :)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I've had mine 10 years and not had any problems with it. period. You'll find lots of others have also not had any issues. Like any system, including standard mains, it has to be maintained.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I’m a big fan of full battens. Can’t have em with an inmast furler.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Yeah not a fan of a batten-less main but I do like the infinite reefing and the simple stowage and retrieval. No they don't always work perfectly and must be maintained as Scott said. I bought the boat with the original, very stretched Dacron main sail. It had lousy shape, bound due to the stretch at the foot and could not be hauled to a flat position for heavy air. I had a Paneled Tri-Radial Pentex/Technora with Tedlar UV cover made and it is awesome and fixed every problem and made it far easier to stow and retrieve. Hope this helps

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You can get battens for a in-mast furler. It was preferred by a Racing Sailor friend. Battens are not for typical reefing to reduce Sail area, but for stiffening the main in a race.
I decided NO battens.;)

The in-mast is just a mechanism. The crew needs to learn how to use the mechanism.
Once learned, it is a great Safety Device to allow "infinite reefing" from the cockpit.
Jim...

Sep 5, 2009
Hunter 45 CC Marina del Rey
Love mine but had to get new sail. Stretched out sail was folding over when furled in and got stuck. Mack Sails did a great job - was a known problem with Hunter 45CC Doyle sails. Keep tension when furling in and stay on a 30 degree port tack to avoid folding over of the sail when furling in. Now no more issues - easy to use! Good luck, Viktor

Eureka

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter Vision 32 Yellowknife
Thank you all very much. I feel more comfortable with the idea of a mast furling main.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I still have my UK sail and have had it repaired a few times
from racing and yes racing really beat it up but I did stop racing and did win some races and no battens.
A friend had battens who races every week but went to batten less
sails saying battens worked good but we’re a lot of work furling back in with out problems and he races and wins often and other hunters also did very well racing racing here,this Hunter 42 did win a race to Cuba and back and cruses to Bahama’s often.
Just learn proper furling and it will be with out problems and I only rinse the mast with fresh water and have no problems my H-36 is 2007.
Nick