in mast furling

Oct 12, 2017
Hunter 340 CBYC
looking for some advice on replacing the line for the in mast furling on a Hunter 340. Can anyone help with opening the furling drum on the mast?

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
I wouldn't mess with the drum. Just run a new line and splice as a continuous loop. Not hard to do, I've done it by watching splicing videos on the web.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
According to Selden's literature there is a slot which enables one to insert a continuous line over the furling winch. The next question would be if you have line clutches are you able to get those apart to lay in the new control line? But it really isn't that difficult to purchase a length of 10mm line and splice it to the length you want.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah the line clutch is the problem. I think you can take the cams out but it entails removing the clutch and that gets into the headliner thing for a lot of boats.
I would suggest very low stretch cordage. When a gust hits it is that line that resists stretching and stretching will allow the sail to deepen at the exact time you don't want it to. It's a good place to spend some money to upgrade the pleasure of sailing your boat.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
When a gust hits it is that line that resists stretching and stretching will allow the sail to deepen at the exact time you don't want it to.
I have learned this lesson, only it was worse, the line didn't stretch it slipped on the reefing winch (even when tight) and the sail started to feed out during a large gust, I now trust the righting ability of the Sapphire. Given that episode I don't trust the system when reefed unless I put the winch in the ratchet position, yes this means I have to go out on the deck to the mast, but it sure is better than having the main unfurl on its own at exactly the wrong moment.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
If it is a Selden furler, there is a ratchet lever on the furling drum that allows it to be furled in but will not allow it to furl out even if the line goes slack. When the wind pipes up that is the first thing I do, flip that lever to ratchet mode.