In-Counter Ice Box

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 30 Noank, CT
Does anyone have the opening and inside dimensions of the in-counter ice box on the 1989-1994 Hunter 30? I have a 1990 model and was thinking about keeping a YETI Hopper cooler bag in the ice box so that I don't have to keep the water draining to the bilge or re-plumbing the drain. This would probably be a temporary solution for this season.

I forgot what the opening size is at the counter top. The YETI Hopper 40 I purchased is 18.25" top to bottom, 13x24" side to side. I just what to be sure I can turn this bag on end and get the 18.25 x 13" end into the cooler opening at the counter top. This way I can store all items in the bag inside the built-in cooler for extra insulation for long weekend voyages. My boat is still wrapped up for winter.

Jun 29, 2004
-Hunter 30-2- -Watkins Glen Ny.
My 1988 30 is 12" wide by 13" deep, if you remove the top you gain 1" or 14" deep. hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2011
Hunter 30-2 Lake Champlain
Last winter I swapped out the ice box drain hose and installed a small pump that pushes the melted ice up to a faucet in the sink. Since we don't use the shower, the bilge stays bone dry now.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't have dimensions but maybe this pic will help. I think your bag would fit with racks removed.

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 30 Noank, CT
GREAT suggestions everyone! I like the dry bag idea. What I have been doing this past season is freezing 4 gallon water jugs that I purchase before a trip and put those in the bottom of the cooler When the ice melts, I use it for drinking water, rather than drinking from the holding tank via faucet. I like the insulated top, the seal, and the support for the lid in your picture Justin. Is that all factory? I have an insulated top, but not as beefy as yours from what I recall. The strut would be a welcomed addition. I also like your idea Famos_Amos of a pump re-plumb to the sink. I have thought of adding a shower sump box for both the shower and the ice box, but do not believe that I have found one small enough to fit in the sump area under the floor. I have yet to use the shower on this boat, but would like to on occasion at some point. I had thought of adding in a refrigerator unit to the ice box, but decided to pass on that, at least for this year. The added power consumption would force me to install a solar system that I have also put off for at least another season. With other upgrades and replacements, I am out another $5K or so heading into this season. My only justification of adding the costs into this boat (of what I will likely not get back when I decide to sell and upgrade) is that I plan to keep it until retirement ... that is still 12 years away. So, amortizing the costs of upgrades over a decade is a bit more palateable. Still no radar on this boat .... that is another $4K jump after considering a replacement chartplotter with radar capability, a 4G broadband radome, mount & cabling. All good .... as long as I get out and just sail!

Jan 24, 2011
Hunter 30-2 Lake Champlain
This is a good boat to upgrade, especially if you are gonna be holding on to it for a while. I haven't used the shower in mine.. I like to keep the bilge bone dry. We've done a number of upgrades though- replaced the head tank/rebuilt all cabinetry in the head, cockpit speakers, raymarine autopilot/multifunction display/chart plotter at the helm, new rudder, bottom job, new headsail reefing system, mainsail handling upgrades, boom kicker, midship cleats, bigger house batt bank... Spending the last few weeks of the winter making new hand-holds and "eyebrow" trim pieces for the deck. The focus this spring is topside appearance.. hoping I can get just a bit of shine off the heavily weathered gel.

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 30 Noank, CT
I agree that this is a great boat to upgrade and hold on to for a while. If you don't mind me asking, what size and number of batteries to you have installed? I upgraded the 2 group 24 batteries that came with the boat to 2 group 31 batteries that have 105ah each under the aft birth. I would love to add a third, dedicated engine battery to the boat but have not found a good place to mount/store it. There is just not enough room next to the other two batteries under the aft birth. The two group 31's barely fit where they are.

Besides maybe future solar panels and a refrigerator upgrade to the in counter cooler, I am thinking of building a cabinet that would span the beam of the boat along the stern wall of the aft birth. I hate having to throw clothes in a duffle bag on that birth and not having some sort of cabinet to store them in.

I'm looking forward to getting the boat back into the water by May 1st, if we could just get past this dang blizzard hitting us tomorrow in the NE.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
[QUOTE="Tartaruga Sailing, post: 1359309, member: 134794" ] I like the insulated top, the seal, and the support for the lid in your picture Justin. Is that all factory? I have an insulated top, but not as beefy as yours from what I recall. The strut would be a welcomed addition. [/QUOTE]
That's the way we bought it. I'm guessing it's factory.