I'm sinking ....Again

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
So, we've had some pretty rough weather lately, which has caused maybe an inch in the bilge of the 23' . She's normally pretty tight.
I cleaned out yesterday, and with no rain overnight, there was more water today :(
Where do I start? I have way too much invested over the year to walk away.
I've checked the center board pendant tube, and I've checked the cockpit drain as much as I could.
Where else could we be leaking from?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Have you checked all of your through hull fittings below the waterline? If you have a fresh water holding tank it could be cracked or any of the related fittings/hoses could be leaking. Could also be related to your head holding tank or if you have a portable head, the fresh water tank could have a leak.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Try dry paper towel pieces (Bounty half squares for me)

Do you have a pressurized fresh system with a automatic pump?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The centerboard trunk. There may be a crack in a yet unseen area. I don't know your boat so my guess is a hazard. But it seems you've eliminated other sources. BTW I'm not sure that encapsulated ballast can't ever leak.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
The centerboard trunk. There may be a crack in a yet unseen area. I don't know your boat so my guess is a hazard. But it seems you've eliminated other sources. BTW I'm not sure that encapsulated ballast can't ever leak.
This where my heads at right now, going there again Sunday, will check on it and maybe try and get the boat out sailing

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Maybe water worked its way into other areas of the bilge through limber holes? After you removed the water from the main bilge the water worked it's way back from the other areas into the bilge?

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Ward, that may be as there was no new water today. Took the boat out and motored around for an hour, still nothing

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
Ward, that may be as there was no new water today. Took the boat out and motored around for an hour, still nothing
Hey there, just curious, have you figured out anything more with this? I feel like my oday 23-2 leaks and every possible place, and in addition to that, the water that is in all the nooks and crannies, and above the keel for example will take hours or longer to seep down into the bilge after I pump the bilge dry. Also, don't forget the cockpit drain which, if you have a lot of gear on the back could see leakage from waves