I'm not joking (valve replacement)

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Ok - I'm not joking. As in, I've had the boat 2 years now and haven't yet replaced the joker valve (who knows when the PO last replaced it). I've read Peggy's book (thanks "Head Mistress") and see that I need to get on this before it becomes an issue.

I've got a Cataline 309 with Thetford Headmate (model 37001 ?) - see pic of label. I can't seem to find specific joker valves for this.
Do I have to find a specific valve from Thetford? or do others work fine (or better)?
I see full maint kits...but when I look at places like Defender, I don't see ones for that model. Is that model known by something else - more generic?
Would it be a good idea to do a full pump maint instead of just a joker as I don't know the precise history anyway?

any help would be appreciated....

thanks, Dave - in Tampa
joker3.jpg

Apr 13, 2015
Thanks guys - jparks: I did call the number and they only sell the full kits. so if I end up going that way, I could get it from them. They said other places might sell the joker valve separately...
Rick - that item at Defender...says it is for "Model 1460 Headmate". Are all headmate pumps the same?

thanks - Dave

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Save yourself the hassle and replace the whole pump assembly, typically 20 bucks more than the rebuild kit.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
First a little background on your toilet. The Headmate was a Wilcox-Crittenden compact toilet...Thetford bought W-C and continued making them for only a couple of year--or maybe even just put their name on the inventory till they ran out--then killed the whole W-C product line. It is the same toilet as the 1460 .So anything that pertains to a W-C Headmate also pertains to the ones with Thetford's name on 'em.

According to that label, the toilet is 8 years old...and it's unlikely it's ever even seen a new joker valve, much less any of the parts in the pump. A Groco or Raritan joker valve will fit it, , but it was high enough quality toilet and new enough to still several years life left in it if you keep it lubricated and put a service kit in it...and that's what I'd do.

Save yourself the hassle and replace the whole pump assembly, typically 20 bucks more than the rebuild kit.
That's only true of Jabsco manual toilets. A Jabsco pump wouldn't fit the Headmate base and would be a step down in quality anyway. A new pump for the Headmate is $180...the service kit is $70 at Defender.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Apr 13, 2015
Peggy, thanks for confirming that that kit at Defender would fit. I'll definitely do a rebuild for best maint.

Folks, if anyone hasn't yet bought Peggy's book at this site, you need to. It has a wealth of good info.

Also, I had the great pleasure of being at the St Pete boat show last year and being in the audience for one of Peggy's presentations...if you ever have that opportunity, it's not to be missed!

Thanks!

Dave, Tampa bay

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thanks for the compliment, Dave! Conducting seminars at boat shows and rendezvous is what I enjoy most about being in the marine sanitation field...glad you enjoyed it too!