I'm Back!!!!! - Back to sailing, that is......

May 31, 2004
Gulfstar 37 Aft Cockpit New Orleans
Some of you folks that have been posting for a few years may remember that until Katrina, I posted regularly about my 1980 Hunter 33...learned a lot from Sam and Terry about the 33 over the years, and made a few contributions...I lost "Reality" in Katrina...actually, she made it throught the storm, still had the mast up, but was about 500 yards away from its berth, in a parking lot, so insurance company totaled.....I tried a powerboat, and even though I like working with diesels, it just isn't the same as moving along under a cloud of white sails with only the water as music.....so, I did what I swore I would never do again, and that is buy a boat I can't move out of the way of a hurricane....yep, another sailboat, and this one is a 1979 Gulfstar 37.....It survived Katrina in Orleans marina, and I got the boat and slip together, so seems like fate to have it....I think the name of the boat says it all about how those of us are on the Gulf Coast right now, so we are going to keep the name. If you can't see the name clearly in the picture, it is "Perseverance"...You folks will just have to understand if I post on the Hunter Owners site, even though it is a Gulfstar....after all, all old boats have common systems, and it is hard to find a more friendly or knowledgeable bunch of people.....so, sorry I tried the dark side for a while, but I'm back. ;)

A

Andy

Welcome Back

Welcome back. I'm glad to know that some of those that leave the fold will come back to the joy even though it may not seem as though they've come back to their senses. I guess you just have to say you came back to your senses as in feeling, hearing, seeing, smelling, and taste! If you think about it, the powerboats cloud all five of those. The engine noise blocks out the "delicate sounds of sailing", the diesel affects smell and taste!; the speed blurs your vision...you get the point. Enjoy 2007 UNDER SAIL!

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Welcom back

to sailing. Power boats are great for certain things like fishing, water skiing and getting out on the water. But being able to turn that engine off and still cruise quietly on is pricesless as you described in your post. I dont think that anyone here will mind that you are no longer a Hunter owner. I am an old Tartan 27 owner who found this site because an old friend bought a MacGregor 26s. Nobody seems to care that much. The knowledgebase here is considerable if not daunting what with so many know-it-alls lurking about. Stay connected here and check out this Gulfstar sight as well http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietrich/BoatModelGulfstar.html I also troll the Tartan27owners website. Again, welcome back.

A

Andy

And speaking of coming back

Jim, don't mean to take over your post (hi Jack) but don't you think its folks like you that will be attracted to the new IP motorsailor? Maybe as time goes, they will improve them so that serious sailors don't have to compromise too much and you still have the power you need to get away from the dread hurricane or to the party on time! Lest we forget-it all about time...Have a Mount Gay Rum and enjoy your time sailing!

C

Chuck R

Jim I don't know you, But-----

I am also a come back kid. I just came back this last spring buying a trailer sail er, 222 O'Day. I sold my beloved powerboat that I owned since 1982 to come back to my roots. I lost interest in sailing 50 years ago when turning 16 and getting my drivers license. To slow a pace for me back then but in retirement sailing is just the ticket. Shoulda done it five years ago. I am a founding father of my powerboat's web site with over 1100 members. My brother and I are keeping his power boat as we both can enjoy both worlds. This forum has a great bunch of sailors ready to help. Enjoy the fresh air !! Boating is not a matter of life or death, it is more important than that.