I'm a new owner of a Vision 32!

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
My first boat, so I am still getting used to the idea that I HAVE A SAILBOAT!

I have been looking through the great info here and have already connected with the Hunter Association of Puget Sound, so I think I am off to a good start. First things on my list... replace the Webasto hydronic system (no longer making parts for the DBW46 that is currently not working.) Then a leaky banjo fitting on the secondary filter, then onto the list from the survey. This will be my first experience with a diesel engine, so that is going to be an adventure.

Any tips for a newbie, especially Vision 32 related are welcomed!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Well, it sounds like you are off to a good start! If you have not done so, read all the owner reviews on this site and search for vision 32 for archived threads. Great boat. Had one for nine years.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@VisionPNW welcome. Nice to see another Pacific NW Sailor.
New to you boats require time to tell you who they are and what they need. Take your time to discover your boat. There reall is no rush.

If your survey identified specific issues then that is a place to start. Likely some are safety issues. Address those before you go on any sailing adventures.

Once you have the safety issues solved you need to take your boat out on the water and get to know her. More than one new owner has read about some new gadget for the boat only to discover it already on the boat or not of much use on the boat. Boats will suck boat bucks out of your wallet with out you volunteering them. (Boat buck = the cost in multiples of $1K that your boat needs or you think it may need). Save your boat bucks so you can take sailing adventures. That is why you bought the boat.

Vision 32 owners and many othe sailors are here to offer ideas to help you enjoy your sailing experience.

Welcome and congrats on your new boat.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Congratulations and welcome. Hopefully the previous owner of your boat kept the owner's manuals for the many bits and pieces that make up your boat. You should spend some time reading them. If you don't have manuals, the internet is a great source for that information. Download, print and save them for future reference. You'll be surprised at how many previous owners and boat yard mechanics don't know what they're doing but do it anyway. By doing repairs and maintenance work yourself, you will learn a lot about your boat and its systems. Most likely you'll do it correctly too. Don't be intimidated by your diesel engine. They are pretty easy to work on. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you get stumped. There are plenty of knowledgeable sailors on these forums.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome aboard ! Lots of good info on site check out "general downloads" and you'll find the dmanual for the Yanmar.. As previously said.. she is a neat enjoyable boat...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
replace the Webasto hydronic system
Congrats on your new boat. Wonderful cruising grounds here in the PNW. Before replacing the system, it might be worthwhile to call a Webasto service/dealer to see whether it is serviceable; perhaps a simple fix.

A good working furnace makes a big difference during off season cruising. I installed our Wallas forced air system in 2006 myself and it continues to do a great job keeping the interior warm during those cold winter days.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
I contacted Sure Marine a few days ago. they said they don't make/stock parts anymore for that model... snagged a new one on Ebay and will be diving in as soon as it arrives! Having everything already plumbed for the hydronic system, it seems like a smart move to just replace the furnace.

Mar 17, 2016
Hunter 31 Punta Gorda Florida
I had a leak at the banjo fitting in the same area. Replaced the metal-sheathed hose that had the banjo fittings on it and used new copper washers. That was four years ago - no leaks since. Good Luck on your new boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
(Boat buck = the cost in multiples of $1K that your boat needs or you think it may need)
I think the exact formula for boat bucks is: i+r+(2^a+12(c)×1000) = boat bucks, where i=initial price, r=sum of all registration and administration fees, a=age of boat plus age of owner divided by 2, and c=10 percent of the owner's bank balance.
But it is worth it.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Welcome!
I have never really thought a Hydronic heater was needed unless you own a condo.
Diesel engines are very forgiving if you maintain the oil and cooling systems.

A lot of info in FAQ sections here!

Warning about "mummy" sailors like @jssailem he will want you to take the helm in a blizzard and go below to enjoy the cabin.
Jim...

SqPeg

Oct 2, 2014
Hunter 32 Vision Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor
The bow roller on mine had no middle left and was not removable. Hope you don't have one of these. The main is a bear to raise. I bought a power handle for the winch and keep the track well lubed.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
The bow roller on mine had no middle left and was not removable. Hope you don't have one of these.
Well, I dont have that problem because there is no bow roller at all! I figured I'd hacksaw/drill it out and replace it with a stainless bolt and new roller... or maybe something different altogether. One of MANY upcoming projects.