If you could homeport anywhere, where would you homeport?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
if you are given a coast guard inspection your home port better match your passport address or you'll get fined. they are sticklers on that.
Really?! I wasn't aware of that. My boat isn't documented (I think it once was, though … it has numbers under the v-berth cushion). I currently have "Lake Hopatcong, NJ" on my stern. We don't live there anymore and I was planning to use "Barnegat". We don't live there, either.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i proudly wear my jackson harbor fish net museum hat and T all the time. has a great lakes fish tug boldly shown on it. only great lakes fish tug hat or T in the world i think. got the coffee mug too.
http://www.harveyhadland.com/pics070.htm

jackson harbor, washington island, wisconsin. it's a hoot to visit. it's like 1920 in there. like going through a time warp. the alden fits well

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
state regs do not require a home port so you can put anything you want on the transom or nothing at all. the feds do require if you doc. it's just like a ship

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
the numbers under your v bunk are hull registration numbers that the manufacturer is require to put on by the gov.
i have those too

Oct 26, 2008
the numbers under your v bunk are hull registration numbers that the manufacturer is require to put on by the gov.
i have those too
Really? I'm not so sure. I'll have to see if there is any correlation. Aren't you talking about the Hull ID stamped on the stern? The numbers I have in the v berth are black stickers that somebody put on. If they are something other than CG Documentation numbers, that would explain why I don't find anything when I try a Search. I wonder if they are numbers that are only required in Texas. My boat originally came from Spring, Texas. The ghost of the sticker was visible on the stern when we first got the boat in 2004.

May 25, 2012
scott, aeolus has a hull registration/ID number engraved in wood and glassed to the hull deep in the hull forward. yes my newer boats have the number on the top of of the transom in the gell coat. prolly the new version of what i have on aeolus. do not know what your numbers imply.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I guess some rules could have changed when the USCG centralized its documentation services at WV. But first, I believe there might still be a difference between "home port" and "hailing port." The name of the port from which a vessel hails--the name painted on the vessel--is, or was, its hailing port. Prior to relocation of services to WV, hailing port could be the location of the port where the vessel was actually berthed, or it could be named at the location of the USCG regional or local documentation office that issued the documentation. For example, my Pearson 30 had a narrow transom. The boat was berthed in St. Petersburg, FL and we lived there. But it had originally been documented through the center at Miami. Miami, FL would fit on the transom in 3" letters but St. Petersburg, FL would not. So we chose Miami as our hailing port named on the vessel. Home port refers to the owner's city of residence. By this discussion, however, it appears that home port and hailing port might have either been synonomized under new rules or confused with each other.:doh: It's easy for us now. We live in Long Beach (our home port), and the vessel hails from Long Beach (our hailing port).

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
KG, i could have recollected wrong. interesting. it's been thirty years since i read the fine print. i'll need to review. thanks for the heads up

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
if you read the fine print of the fed doc . the home port is the owners home address. nothing to do with any harbor or such
I don't think this is true.
"§ 67.119 Hailing port designation.
(a) Upon application for any Certificate
of Documentation in accordance
with subpart K of this part, the owner
of a vessel must designate a hailing
port to be marked upon the vessel.
(b) The hailing port must be a place
in the United States included in the
U.S. Department of Commerce’s Federal
Information Processing Standards
Publication 55DC.
(c) The hailing port must include the
State, territory, or possession in which
it is located.
(d) The Director, National Vessel
Documentation Center has final authority
to settle disputes as to the propriety
of the hailing port designated.
(e) Until such time as the vessel
owner elects to designate a new hailing
port, the provisions of paragraph (c) of
this section do not apply to vessels
which were issued a Certificate of Documentation
before July 1, 1982."

"Aspen" is not legal unless it is "Aspen, CO" (correction: It's legal if the boat was documented before 1982)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
someone once said that you 'learn from your mistakes' , if that were true then i would be the smartest man in the world. thank you for the correct info you guys

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I think the distinction between Hailing Port and Home Port helps clarify things. So, as I understand it, the hailing port on my boat as Englewood, FL, is ok because that is where I originally documented the boat, even though she is berthed in MA. Actually, I could change the hailing port at any time. And my current address on the CG document shows my resident address in HI, so that is my homeport, and that is ok.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
"Hailing Port" is what appears on the USCG Certificate. I'm sure that if the HP name on the vessel did not match the one on the Certificate, there could be trouble. Owner's residence is also on the Certificate. The Certificate has to updated annually whereas a passport does not. There is no requirement that a passport be updated due to a change of address. So, it's easy to see how the two residence addresses might not match, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think the distinction between Hailing Port and Home Port helps clarify things. So, as I understand it, the hailing port on my boat as Englewood, FL, is ok because that is where I originally documented the boat, even though she is berthed in MA. Actually, I could change the hailing port at any time. And my current address on the CG document shows my resident address in HI, so that is my homeport, and that is ok.
It's different now since centralization, I believe. Each year you must update the Certificate with current information, or say that no changes have occurred. If you have moved the boat to a new permanent hailing port whence it actually comes and goes, etc., that probably should be on the Certificate and you probably need to fix it on the vessel as well, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
It's different now since centralization, I believe. Each year you must update the Certificate with current information, or say that no changes have occurred. If you have moved the boat to a new permanent hailing port whence it actually comes and goes, etc., that probably should be on the Certificate and you probably need to fix it on the vessel as well, etc.
The home port where the boat is actually kept is not a requirement for Hailing Port, as evidenced above. Most people would logically assume it should be, but that's not what the rules state.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The home port where the boat is actually kept is not a requirement for Hailing Port, as evidenced above. Most people would logically assume it should be, but that's not what the rules state.
There is no mention of "home port" in the rules you cite above. There is no place on the USCG documentation certificate where "home port" is entered, only hailing port and owners residence. Unless hailing port and home port can be used interchangeably as the USCG sees it, home port has nothing to do with where the boat is "permanently" berthed. (And maybe nothing to do with anything related to the boat.) Sorry, but I think the OP's real question here is where would you want you and your boat to hail from if you could choose anywhere in North America, including Mexico. That really refers to a definable place where there is a port to hail from. Thus, not "PNW", not "Downeast", not "New England"--but Port Townsend, WA; Camden, ME; or Providence, RI, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
I think the OP's real question here is where would you want you and your boat to hail from if you could choose anywhere in North America, including Mexico. That really refers to a definable place where there is a port to hail from. Not "PNW", not "Downeast", not "New England"--but Port Townsend, WA; Camden, ME; or Providence, RI, etc.
Got it, I think Wickford, Rhode Island on the east coast and La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico on the west coast for me. I could be happy at those locations! I would choose Traverse City, Michigan for the middle coast. But I also really liked Munising, Michigan when we went through there last summer. I'd have to give that some thought. Yikes! I forgot about Charlevoix. It would be so difficult to pick a middle coast favorite!

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
scott, i've dumped 24,000 tons of coal in Munising from a 730' ship. those other place would never allow it. :)