If at first you don't succeed, splice, splice again...

Feb 11, 2017
And when that fails, Google for another YouTube.
I'd made the eye in the line with the blue tracer and it came out fine. Then realized that I'd bought line (for the outhaul) with the same pattern as a line already in the clutch set. So I got some of the more bland line and, fail! You can see two of them in the middle. Just could not get the core to pull back into the cover.
Now, all of these had been done using the NE Ropes / West Marine video. The one that worked and the three that didn't. So dug up the Marlow video I'd used last year. Bingo! The good splice at the bottom in the becket of the fiddle block. The two instructions are the reverse of each other. One buries the core first; the other the cover first. Different strokes for different years?
Does anyone have a favorite splicing guide? Perhaps different sources are better for different braids. Videos are nice; they make it easier to keep track of "the first mark" or "mark III."
On the clew car is an eye splice in Amsteel. This is the easy one: just thread the line back and forth through itself and bury lots of what remains. But you run the other end through this end; for the other eye, you don't have that option. Not gone there yet. Note to those wondering about this 12-plait and sizing. Because you bury so much of the loose line, the result is almost twice the diameter for quite a ways beyond the splice.

IMG_6853a1200.jpg

Feb 11, 2017
But it might be a good one! The first eye went down in nicely. This locked brummel isn't being so smooth.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh the fun of splicing. The art form of the "rigger". A demonstration of seamanship. A way to spend hours - days at sea with something to do. Back in the day it was a way to demonstrate for the First Mate that you were worthy of keeping on the boat. Maybe move up a notch from scum to swab.

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
I learned using Premium ropes video. A couple of tricks that aren't mentioned but after watching the video are; he uses a smaller gauge fid for burying the core, and the fid he uses are ones that have small teeth to grab the line.

My second attempt
second splice.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
HOW DID I MISS THIS?
I just posted about splicing an eye in my new dockline... it came out great even if I do say so myself! :D
Well... anyway... TODAY'S YOUR LUCKY DAY KID! ;)
Here's the video that made perfect sense of the Samson Splicing book page 112, I struggled with....
Hope it helps!

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
here's some shots I took...
first one is the knot holding the line anchored on the opposite side of the door... I worked on the floor since that was the largest continuous space I had for this job.
DSC_4158.JPG DSC_4159.JPGDSC_4160.JPGDSC_4162.JPG DSC_4165.JPG DSC_4167.JPG DSC_4175.JPG