Ideas on how to find good used sails for a CL16

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
I am a Sunfish owner and was looking for a second Sunfish for my teen son as well as a larger boat (21-22 foot) to fit the family. I came across a local camp selling out of their entire sailing program. They had the Sunfish I wanted but it was a take one take all deal. So... I got 7 boats all on trailers. 2 Sunfish, 1 Butterfly, 1 Sunflower, 1 Thistle class and 2 CL16. Yes, my yard is full ;)
I am cleaning and fitting parts to sell off what I do not want to keep. The CL16 are in great shape so I have decided to keep one to sail this year and sell the other now. My plan is to sell off these boats to help fund my future family boat. My issue falls with one sail bag having a mice issue. Both sails for one of the CL16 are eaten to bits (Now I only gave $100 for the boat so I can not complain). Jut not wanting to drop $900 on new sails so I have tried looking for used. I can not seem to find any info at all. Anyone have an idea?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look up on the web under cl16 sailboat. There are listings for the boat. THis is a Canadian built boat so freight across the border might be a tad high. I doubt you will find any used sails.

Jun 23, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I have searched adds up and down. I may just need to bite the bullet and buy new sails for one of the boats. Will have to get to cleaning a few of the others and get them on the market quick.

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
The design is based on the Wayfarer which there are a lot of them out there. You might want to check the sail plan and see if you can find one that works for your boat. Also, there are Used sail places like Bacon Sails that you might try. Good luck with your new fleet.

Jun 23, 2017
Thanks all. "Fleet" is right! My yard is looking full right now! Looks like I have a few extra masts and a boob with two nice sails that I have no clue what they go to. Not any of the boats that I bought.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
:plus: For Bacon Sails, other sail lofts may have similar consignment shops that would be closer to you. Also look at the sail size, there might be similar sizes that will fit your boat.
craigslist might be an option, either a search or a "wanted to buy"ad.
Depending on how chewed up those sails are, you can sew sails on a home machine so patching might be an option.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
LadyHawk,

Are you handy? (all those boats . . . I hope so) Can you sew? My wife and I made a new mainsail for our Lancer 25 a couple of years ago. Did the whole thing on her Kenmore machine circa 1981. It did great. The kit for that sail was about $500 but your 16 will be significantly smaller and cheaper. Might be a way to go.

Jun 23, 2017
Handy, yes. I own a paddleboard shop so I do fiberglass work all the time. Sewing, no I don't. I do know friends that do. Where did you get you kit dscribner?

Jun 23, 2017
This will show my lack of knowledge with bigger boat sails.... Can you fit another brand's sail to your boat if the dimensions are close? Like the O-Day Dysailer mainsail is very close to the specs of the CL16 main. Would that work or not at all? Any info would be appreciated as I already stated that I have very little knowledge here. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
A qualified "yes" - the other sail would have to be a little smaller in order to pull it tight when you hoist it, otherwise you would have to be willing to cut the larger sail down & re-sew it to make it fit.