Ideas for C 30 refit

Dec 3, 2003
Catalina 30 6205 mobile
Hey ALL,
I am in the midst of a complete refit of my 1993 C 30. I'd like some ideas, or feedback, with the galley. I am considering corian for the tops and want to add storage. Send photos or ideas, please! All wiring, plumbing, trim, tanks, and bulkheads are removed and the interior hull is getting painted next week. Help!!!

Thank you all in advance
Kevin

Attachments

Jan 6, 2010
RE,

Sounds like a big refit project man.

I see you have not done your profile yet. This can be helpful info for the guys. Look at some profiles to get an idea of what info to add.

As for your galley project, the boat year will help. My 1980 galley may differ from yours somewhat.

It would also be beneficial if you post a more detailed list of what you want to do. Pics always help.
In this way, the guys can save you alot of time & effort as there are knowledgeable members here 7 all try to be helpful.

Just a thought pal........
CR

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
All wiring, plumbing, trim, tanks, and bulkheads are removed and the interior hull is getting painted next week. Help!!!
The Corian countertops in my boat have held up well but it makes the icebox lids incredibly heavy, and I have X rays of my wife's thumb as evidence. If you have the stuff removed it will be useful as patterns etc,, and many pieces like plastic trim rings on hatches and ports may not have readily available replacements. Big job

Oct 28, 2014
Catalina 30 San Diego
I've not re done the counter top yet, but I've moved the sink to the centerline, drawers in the middle, and now there is a empty space where the double sinks use to be. I've also got a pattern up for adding cabinets where there use to be shelf on the port side of the boat
IMG_20160714_163222.jpg IMG_20160828_180512.jpg IMG_20160825_165136.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Catalina 30 6205 mobile
That's really looking good. Your idea of osb is great for patterns. I had not even considered making patterns. Glad I asked!!!!

Oct 28, 2014
Catalina 30 San Diego
Thanks
The OSB is much cheaper to make a mistake on then the 1/2 MDO I'll cut the final piece out of. With your boat being a Mark III, if you decided to do something similar you would have an easier time, as there is no lip that is present on the mark 1 model. There are also some good ideas for storage on the yahoo group for the Catalina 30.

Dec 3, 2003
Catalina 30 6205 mobile
Oh to have a Mark III. I actually have the bastard "Mark II" version. Just a walk thru transom and no sugar scoop. HEHEHE. Thanks again for the information. I'll keep posting pics as I go along. :D

Jan 8, 2011
1981 Catalina 30 TRBS #2154 Northeast MD
I have a very old Mark 1 (1981 TRBS) that was basically a time capsule when I bought it, but was not quite as ambitious. I had the original formica countertops and table tops that were very faded, so painted the counters with a rustoleum counter paint and put charts/lexan on the table and chart table -see owners pictures on this website (http://catalina.sailboatowners.com/album/album.php?task=model&mid=84). Have been very happy with this low cost modification. That being said-the look is not quite as awesome as what you will have with a total corian refurb.

One other note-I varnished all the interior wood (took 2 years). This was well worth it as looks much better and makes cleaning easier. If you are replacing counters/woodwork, etc., definitely do this as well-you won't regret it.

-Chris

TadTV

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 30 Redondo Beach
Hi Kevin, What is the purple material you are using inside the cabinets? Also, where did you get the batten material for the rear of the shelves? Thank for the pics.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How did you get it to look like a trailer on the outside? :hook2:
That's a big project. Looks like a labor of love!

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
reprieve, i have the same but think it's still a mkii. the mkiii had a redone interior (some think not for the better) and a port the mkii didn't have, and some other small stuff i can't recall. and of course the cutout you mentioned and i think an external shower head at the stern.

Dec 3, 2003
Catalina 30 6205 mobile
Mine is a Mark II. I have the "T" cockpit with the walk-through transom, no swim scoop. Here are a few more pics after a day of pulling out the wiring. I am so tired--Thanks to my man servant Patrick.

Attachments

Oct 28, 2014
Catalina 30 San Diego
The purple board, is just some Pink board from home depot, Insulation stuff.
The teak slates, (batten material) was done by the previous owner, it looks to be 1/4" teak boards.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
The Corian countertops in my boat have held up well but it makes the icebox lids incredibly heavy, and I have X rays of my wife's thumb as evidence.
My wife had the same problem but didn't break anything. I added a pair of hinges and it's a lot easier to manage.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It was the hinged half that got her Bob, the lids are oriented the other way on the 320 so when you open the hinged half it leans back against the bulkhead just enough to make you think it will stay there when the boat's moving. My fault, I recognized the problem and didn't address it in a timely manner, or so I've been told.:(

Feb 15, 2014
Catalina 30 Bremerton, WA
I have the old style folding wooden lid for the icebox.
I put a long screw straight up, just to the right of where the lid
folds up against the bulkhead, at exactly the width
of the folded lid. When opening, I fold the first fold
then pivot the whole lid up and slide it to the right
just a few inches and it's held securely. I'm not near
my boat, but I'll try to get a picture for y'all.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Do you see any issue with re-distributing galley or other weight. being mindful of the Catalina port list?
-Ken #3573

Dec 3, 2003
Catalina 30 6205 mobile
I love the way your tops look. That is exactly what I am looking to do. THX!!