Registered users don't see ads

ID Newport Model

Discussion in 'Newport' started by Jazzydaze, Jan 2, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,161 posts, 870 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Checkout Moyer Marine for all things A4. It’s a good gas engine. If you want to go diesel, look at the Beta, they have Dropins just for A4 replacements.

Jazzydaze likes this.
  2. jlp0217

jlp0217

Joined Jun 27, 2014
    102 posts, 8 likes
    Jeanneau Moorings International 50
    US Everett
    Don't let the ditch scare you. It is a very nice cruise. With your draft you can make it on almost any tide. Just don't do it in the last couple hours before a minus tide. The last time I came through was after a -3 tide, I came through LaConner right at the 0 tide level. It was perfect for calibrating my depth sounder with my 6 foot draft, I dragged a little in several places, the worst was dead center between the last pair of red and green bouys at the south end of the channel where I slowed to 4 knots from 6.5 before pushing through.
    On the other hand some of the worst water I've been in was when I went around the outside of Fidalgo Island heading for Kingston. It was dead calm, but there seemed to be 4 foot wind waves coming from both the North and SouthWest, plus a swell from the West. Then it got even worse where the current from the Straights split to go south into Admiralty Inlet & north to Bellingham. Then the wind came up, and with a following tide and sea, I had a great 15knot sail all the way down Admiralty Inlet.

Jazzydaze likes this.
  3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    7,825 posts, 3,136 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    @jlp0217 the waves only seem to be coming from 3 directions. That’s cause they are all confused.

Gig Harbor can be made in 2 long days or 3 comfortable days. Both routes are interesting in their own way. With the ditch just choose a tidal time that is positive or neutral. Negative tide levels might find you waiting for the rise. Stick to the center of the channel and all will be fine.
    The outer Juan D’Fuca route can be a lake or exciting. Great places along the way to stop.

It’s going to be fun.

Jazzydaze likes this.
  4. Jazzydaze

Jazzydaze

Joined Jan 2, 2019
    13 posts, 4 likes
    Newport 30
    Ragamuffin US Gig Harbor, WA
    Hi all..finally got to the boat again. The mission was to LEDize the running, steaming and anchor light. I bet you can all guess which one is causing the head a ache. No power to anchor light!!! Power into the switch at panel. Ideas? Was up there..nothing at the socket.

Jazzy

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    7,825 posts, 3,136 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    Trace the wire from the panel you state has power to the mast. Looking for frayed or possible short.
    Wire should go to ground near panel. Check the ground is not corroded.

6. jlp0217

jlp0217

Joined Jun 27, 2014
    102 posts, 8 likes
    Jeanneau Moorings International 50
    US Everett
    Check again after dark, someone may have put a dusk to dawn switch in the circuit somewhere.

7. Jazzydaze

Jazzydaze

Joined Jan 2, 2019
    13 posts, 4 likes
    Newport 30
    Solved! Found an unpowered wire at box! Pretty new amp sipping LEDs all around now. Also found the holding tank...picked up spinnaler pole from PO, checked anchor...line is tiiired! Chipped off the asbestos/resin sealant in bilge and sanded some for glassing.

Spent the night on the boat..boy did it blow and rain!

Next question..when i picked up spinny pole..there was a shorter pole as well with a pulley on one end..maybe 3-4ft long...the other end has the typical pole c clamp deal. PO's wife wasnt sure if it went to the newport but thought it matched the spinnaker pole well amd had me take it. You guys know this mini pole?

Jazzy

8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    7,825 posts, 3,136 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    How Long? Does it collapse?
    Could be an adjustable whisker pole. Used to hold jib out - extended to go downwind wing on wing...
    0C9248B0-C30F-4845-8C22-3FA1A64DB4F4.jpeg

9. Jazzydaze

Jazzydaze

Joined Jan 2, 2019
    13 posts, 4 likes
    Newport 30
    Super beefy..about 4ft long...looks just like a short spinny pole but one end has a pully instead of the clip. Not collapsable...seems short to hold a sail out.

Jazzy

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.