Ice Chest Size In The Galley

Aug 8, 2017
Hunter H26 Lake Norman, NC
I want to put a Coleman or Igloo Electro power cooler in the Galley of my 1996 Hunter 26. It currently doesn't have the cooler that came with the boat. Does anyone know the true dimensions of the compartment? Thanks!!
Mike

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The Igloo Marine 48 fits perfectly. We normally take something smaller for daysails.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
All the 12v power coolers I find are too high.

Ex. Coleman 40 quart PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler
  • Exterior dimensions: 21.75 in. (55.2 cm) x 15 in. (38.1 cm) x 17.125 in. (43.5 cm)
Unless there's one out there with a height of about 15 in., a regular ice chest might be the only option unless you're willing to modify the compartment.

That Igloo 48 qt. Marine Chest Cooler Kermit mentioned is looking like a good option.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
That's not electric is it?
Nope. Regular old garden variety cooler. West Marine sells them. I honestly thought they came standard with the new boat. The previous owner included it when we bought our H260. I think I've seen where other owners have the same one.

Aug 8, 2017
If I decide to go with it, I'll take the top off the existing compartment. I think it will come out to to be about the right height.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Those thermoelectric coolers are power hogs drawing around 5A per hour and depending on the ambient temperature may not keep perishables from spoiling. If the intention is to use in conjunction with shore power then a dorm refrigerator might be a better choice. The cooler might be a fair choice if all you want to maintain cool is some beer on a day sail. Try to find one with a thermostat where you could somehow reduce the power consumption.

Aug 8, 2017
I think it might be physically too high. That's why I was considering removing the compartment lid. Maybe even a thin laminated board attached to the cooler top to restore the original look of the galley top if I need to. Just experimenting with different ideas . I have air and heat on the boat. So a Power Chill Unit would actually work well. It sure would be nice to not have to keep Ice on board all the time at the dock. There is a 12V lighter socket just below where the unit would be. Pretty convenient I would think. Just want to make sure it would fit before making the purchase. Thanks for all the input.! SO HELPFUL!!

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Just wondering... Can those power coolers be used just like a regular ice chest, using ice instead of plugging in? It would be nice if while in a slip with shore power it could be used on electric, and also with ice when not at the dock.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
1-2 amps is doable, but with ice at $2 per bag, I will be dead before the contraption is paid for.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just wondering... Can those power coolers be used just like a regular ice chest, using ice instead of plugging in? It would be nice if while in a slip with shore power it could be used on electric, and also with ice when not at the dock.
The electric cooler manufacturers do not recommend you use ice in them, probably the humidity or water sloshing around can damage the electronics. On some coolers where the fan and peltier element are located on a removable lid then you can get a regular lid to use the box with ice.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is not a thermoelectric cooler but a compressor driven refrigerator/freezer and at that price not what is under consideration. Yes 12V refrigerators cool better and use less power than a thermoelectric cooler but are usually heavier and much more expensive. For years used a dorm refrigerator ($70) and ran it through a 1500 Watts inverter when underway with an average power consumption of 3.5Amps/hour. The cost of the inverter was spread among the use of other 120V appliances in the boat. Many have converted ice boxes by installing the innards of a dorm refrigerator and running it with shorepower.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Arizona
These types of coolers are pretty popular with the off-road crowd. I have a friend full-timing it in Thailand that has had an ARB cooler on his deck for over a year and loves it. I'm going to get one for my Jeep and will just hoist it on the boat when I need it.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
"Gift wrapping available. Usually ships in 3-5 months."

We normally remember birthdays 3-5 days ahead of time. And sometimes 3-5 hours. But 3-5 months? Really?
Oh now that is funny!
You really gotta want it bad, and really be thinking ahead.

Aug 8, 2017
Well........after trial and error.........It does fit.....But I had to remove the top of the cooler compartment! However, very disappointing! My Boat has Marine A/C builtin. Even with that it didn't refrigerate well enough to do the job! It advertises that it cools 40 degrees between the temp outside and inside. That should have kept the food between 35F and 40F. It didn't come close to that. Milk spoiled, Steaks went south, cheese was soft.....and more. Final answer is.......DON'T DO IT!! Hope this will help another person considering the change. Thanks so much for all the input and conversation. I wish everyone well!!

Last edited: