I received this as a private msg. Is this still a thing?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
from: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?members/michelleluv2012.116573/

Dearest One,

Thanks for your attention and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval. My name is Miss Michelle Darlington and i humbly write to solicit for your partnership and assistance in the transfer and investment of my inheritance funds of $6,500,000.00 from my late father who died mysteriously last year 2016.

My late father was poisoned to death by my wicked uncle during his visit to south Africa where he has his cocoa and coffee company. I am the only child and daughter of my parents and I lost my mother when I was barely a year. After the death of my mother, my father refused to re-marry another wife despite all persuasion by friends and relatives, because he felt solely responsible for my mother's death, as he only concentrated on his business affairs without paying attention to domestic family affairs.

But he ensured that I had everything that I wanted. It was as a result of this that he made me the next of kin to his fund deposit of $6,500,000.00 he made in a bank here so that I should have a direct access to the funds if some thing happens to him.

I am presently in a hiding in one of the local hotels here in our country because of my father's relatives. I have had a telephone discussions with the director of the bank where my father deposited the funds in regards to my plans to use the funds for investments. The bank director assured me that the funds will be released to me once I have someone who would be honest and willing to receive the funds on my behalf, they shall commence all proceedings to effect the release and transfer of the funds into the person's designated account overseas. Once you signify your interest to partner with me, I shall be giving you more details such as my photo, address, telephone number, documents relating to the transaction and the bank's contact information before we can continue.

In conclusion, I will want us to make an offer of ten percent of the total money to orphans and less Privilege ones in your country while 15% goes to you for all your assistance in this transfer. Please if you are interested kindly contact me on my private email address for more details, ( michelledarlington1@hotmail.fr )

Your urgent response will be appreciated.

Best Regards
Michelle Darlington
--------------------------------
I hope there aren't still people who don't know about the Nigerian scam. :eek:
- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
I must get 20 - 30 a week in my junk mailbox in one form or another... Pretty compelling for the uninitiated, yes?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Got an Email supposedly from Amazon that my $500 bottle of 250 YO single malt scotch was being shipped to my townhouse in London and if this is an error "click here".
Most fun I've had recently was when the guy from "Windows" called to help me fix my computer. He finally called me an A**hole before hanging up on me.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
He finally called me an A**hole before hanging up on me
Hey, that happened to me too. It took him a while to figure out that I didn't even have my computer on. Then he apologized for his language and claimed he was just practicing his English. We talked for a little longer and he told me he wasn't allowed to hang up. I had to do it.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Ah, The first guy gave up and put his supervisor on, apparently he had the authority to hang up on me. The first guy could definitely use a little English practice, he was so hard to understand it was tougher stringing him along. Kept asking "What Apps do you see?"

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I must of had the same guy as he asked what OS I was on told him the current windows 3.11 he the ask windows 10? I said no windows 3.11 and I just got it from microsoft apple store and was told windows 10 was a lemon and Mac Apple was the way to go. He then said I'll have to get my supervisor as this is new to me.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I manged to string along the Windows Support rep for about 20 minutes before he finally asked what operating system I was using. I told him Linux and he immediately hung up.

Aug 16, 2017
Hunter 36 Keyport, NJ
Several years ago my brother called and wanted to see how I was doing. He was a little concerned. He had received an email saying his brother Doug (that is my real name, not HOB), wife and 2 kids (I have 2 kids) had died in a car accident in some African country. I was supposedly there working, and for whatever reason I had several million in an account there. They wanted to make sure my next of kin received it. Really scary that they used my name and had the correct number of children.

My brother did sound somewhat disappointed that I was alive and/or that I didn't have millions of dollars that he might inherit. Hey, can't choose neighbors or relatives. And can't filter out all spam emails.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I got the same email this morning. I’m pretty diappointed, though. I bet we’re gonna have to split the proceeds.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
My 96-year-old mother got the "Grandma, I'm in Spain and need $1500 to get home. The guy knew my sons' name and other details about him so my Mom was very concerned. The guy got way more than he bargained for because my mother can TALK. She kept him for 90 minutes talking and talking. He never did get the $1500