I need to talk installing a deck wash

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I have a 2002 Hunter 356. It came stock without deckwash plumbing. I am so tired of dragging out the hose (in slip) or the bucket on anchor. I know I'm not alone on this. So I'm a pretty technical hands-on owner. I know I can plumb this in and add the pump and switching. However as always there is probably one of you who have already figured out the most streamlined unfit for this need. Such as which thru hull to tap into and what size and manufacturer pump works best and maybe a source for a deck mounted flush fit hose receptacle. Thanks for your expertise.
Jim in Michigan

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I ran the plastic hosing from where all the thru hulls are and tee into the head thru hull and along port side ran the wiring switch to under the nav station.
My switch has a red light and fuse all in one but don't remember what pump I used but just get a whole kit everything comes with it.
Hose fitting is in the anchor locker.
Nick

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
We have had Groco's washdown "kit" on a prior boat (11 years) and on our current boat in its 19th year.

I'm a fan of Shurflo pumps, but the output is nothing like the Groco kit. We have it tied into the intake for the head so that it shares a thruhull. I'd put of strainer on it and check to see that it's clean.

They got a lot more expensive than when I bought them originally -- but they last and do put water out.

YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOUR WIRE SIZE is adequate for the current draw of the pump! That goes for a less robust pump too.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...MIx_W8v7LQ1QIV3bfACh3p6AzCEAQYAyABEgKNV_D_BwE

That pump kit now retails for about 50% higher than that.

You can find less expensive models -- but they really are pissing on the anchor compared to the Groco. ;^))) Surflo makes a kit, as do others. They will get the job done -- though not as well. (I spent 25 minutes taking a bunch of Maine mud out of 175' of chain. The wind was up when I set the anchor, then it died, and the chain just meandered abound on the bottom. That was in Smith Cove -- south of Castine. I can't recall the Chesapeake doing that -- but then we don't anchor in 25-30' of water that often.)

They also make a C-80 kit -- but that's 7.5 gal/minute and is intended for much bigger installations (and who has 10 "boat bucks" and number 8 wire plus a 30 amp circuit breaker. ;^))))

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You can get the parts for the C-80 kit for a lot less if you are willing to forgo the mounting board and terminal strip. The kit is $1113 list, $655 at Defender. On Ebay the pump, check valve, and nozzle come to $265! Add a Starboard board and a terminal strip, and maybe a brass plumbing bit, and you're there!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Look on Amazon and got my anchor wash pump kit many years ago like the ones on Amazon
and got 5.5 pump and works real good and do get heavy mud on my anchor and look for one with plastic mounting bracket,and the switch has built in fuse and push button with red light that lets you know pump is on and all came with my kit and every came with kit and added the plastic hose along the starboard side and need hose connection in anchor locker for hose but the coiling hose did not last and just put short piece of heavy hose that I leave in anchor locker.
Nick