I need shaft coupling info plz

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
OMG, this dripless shaft seal project is a nightmare! I need to go to a split coupling because of the lack of clearance and working room on the shaft. I've already dropped the rudder so I could remove the shaft to get it fit and faired to the new coupling when I get it.
I need help identifying the part I need. I have a '91 Hunter 30T with a 2GM20F diesel. I don't know who makes the tranny. The coupling has 4 bolt holes, fits a 1" keyed shaft and has a 4"flange. Anyone have an idea what I need? Go2Marine carries Buck Algonquin split shafts. They are closed until Monday..

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Greg. I've read their info and I think I know which one I should order. I need to confirm it. I wish I'd remembered to look at my tranny make today :soapbox:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
if you scroll down to the Yanmar section of this chart, you will find the part numbers for a 4-bolt coupling...either in the solid or split version.
https://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/BuckAlgonquin/Transmission_Manufacturer.pdf
It does look like the split coupling is a little shorter than the solid one.

My O’Day 322 has a Yanmar 2GM20F engine and a Kanzaki Tranny.
View attachment 147511

Good luck with your project.

Greg
Drove back out tonight to verify my transmission. It's a Kanzaki also. Split coupling is on order. Now I have to find someone who can "fit and Face" the coupling and shaft. I hear a lot of "we can figure it out" from the machine shops. This is not common around here.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I would consult Doug V. He would likely have some insight or contacts on a reputable machine shop to help.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I would consult Doug V. He would likely have some insight or contacts on a reputable machine shop to help.
Thanks! If anyone would know it would be Doug. Might save me a long trip to OK

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for the find NY. I will call him!
Well, he replied. He just works on props. None of the stinkpot dealers do it. The machine shops say they could "figure it out", but an error here could sink my boat! I'm may be using Phil's guy in Stillwater OK after all.
On the plus side, it gives me a chance to visit West Marine in Tulsa :biggrin:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One final question to help me decide if I need to do this or not; I have a thick orange vibration dampener between the transmission flange and the shaft coupling. How effective is facing the coupling in this setup? If the purpose is to have to perfectly true and flat connection between the coupling and the transmission flange, doesn't the dampener undermine the machine work? In other words. if I have the dampener, do I need to have the coupling faced? What does fitting the coupling buy me if the new split coupling has a good interference fit on the shaft? Is it done so that the shaft and coupling are true to each other so it can be properly faced? I'm thinking that because of the dampener, the machine work may be unnecessary. Opinions?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Opinions?
Get rid of the "vibration dampener".

Lets compare it to a auto shock absorber. You hope the ups are out of frequency with the downs, thus reducing the maximums.

What is causing your vibrations? At what shaft RPM?
Jim...

PS: If your shaft is out of alignment , say goodbye to your new seal.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Jim,
That thought crossed my mind as well. I could sure use the extra clearance for installing my new dripless shaft seal. The dampener was there when we bought the boat. Not sure if they come that way, a PO had a problem, or it was just a cool new item to add. They list over $300. I don't have any noticeable vibration, whether it's because of the dampener or not. They had to add a riding ground strap on the shaft, because the flexible dampener has isolated it from the engine ground circuit.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is how it is advertised. It's called a "Drivesaver"

4" Drivesaver fits Yanmar transmissions by Globe Composites
Reduces vibration and provides a flexible non-metallic barrier between your transmission and propeller shaft. It absorbs extreme shock and torque caused by impact with logs, rocks and line. Drivesaver with stands oil, sludge, saltwater and temperatures of -65F to +225F. All metal components and hardware are plated for corrosion resistance and long life.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
4" Drivesaver fits Yanmar transmissions by Globe Composites
One made by PYI...
http://www.pyiinc.com/flexible-shaft-couplings.html

In that design, there is a metal bar that "flexes", for Propeller "strikes". Typical sailboat shafts are short, low RPM and somewhat protected by the keel.

Impact hits are not "vibrations" per se.

Torque vibrations are normally cutlass bearing wear or bad engine mounts. Both of those will shorten your new seal life. But you have a spring and flexible connector to act as a minor vibration absorber, in your new seal.

Jim...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't detect any excessive vibration, and I don't expect any "hits" or arguments with crab pots etc on the big pond we sail on. The cutlass bearing has been replaced. I'm going to talk to the PropShop where I bought the split coupling and solicit their opinions as well.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I ordered the R&D split coupling for my next haul when I will be replacing my shaft seal bellows for the second time in 20 years. I also ordered their flex coupling. Having read a paper from Cummins Marine regarding their strong recommendation to install a flexible coupling, I figured I would try it. It is pricey though. Not trying to fix a problem. BTW, found the measurement for my cutless bearing found in my manual was wrong, thanks to the guys here at SBO. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I called the propshop to discuss the Drivesaver. They said it does reduce vibration some, but it's main purpose is to prevent a snagged prop from destroying the transmission. That's a bad thing. Anyway, they also said that with out without the Drivesaver, the coupling and shaft should be fit and faced. They use a 2# lead hammer to test the fit.
So things are coming together for my trip south. I'll be driving south to Stillwater to drop off the parts, continue to Tulsa to drop off my headsail for repairs, hang out at West Marine until the sail and shaft are ready and head back home to Wichita.
Meantime I'll be buying a couple Caframo fans, some line, assorted hardware and whatever else is on sale that I can't resist. I'm glad the admiral isn't coming.

It's not a voyage, but it is boat-related :cowbell:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
They said it does reduce vibration some, but it's main purpose is to prevent a snagged prop from destroying the transmission.
If your Kanzaki is like my Kanzaki it has slip clutches or cones in the transmission. Much like a Japanese motorcycle wet clutch, they can take a shock load.