I need a Volvo MD2B

Jul 8, 2019
Douglas 32 sloop toronto
mine is finished ...it just died ....looking for a decent replacement ...reasonable hours good condition for the record this is a 2 cyl, 25 hp from a 1974 ...I beleive all 25 hp Volvo till mid 80's are the same block..other minor changes ,,,alternator ....but they fit and work.
any help would be appreciated

cheers

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
That's an awefully simple engine. Why can't you rebuild it? I know parts are expensive, but they are simple to rebuild....

dj

Jul 8, 2019
Douglas 32 sloop toronto
I spent all last summer fixing ...adding extra water pumps repacing head gaskets and ...fixing leaking cylinder walls.ect ect ...was purring like a kitten last fall...and when we splashed it in May it ran for an hour and choked out....I think it had water in one of the water jackets of cylinder over the winter and broke a piece of the internal cylinder wall....right or wrong ...I am tired of it and I want a motor that I can count on ....a fresh start so to speak
cheers

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Go buy a new engine. Folk talk highly of the Beta Marine engines, but take your pick.

Any engine of this vintage is going to give you the same lack of reliability. You either take one of those old engines and completely rebuild it, (not partially work on it) or buy a new engine.

That's my take anyway.

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
mine is finished ...it just died ....looking for a decent replacement ...reasonable hours good condition for the record this is a 2 cyl, 25 hp from a 1974 ...I beleive all 25 hp Volvo till mid 80's are the same block..other minor changes ,,,alternator ....but they fit and work.
any help would be appreciated

cheers
For what it's worth, our last boat had a 1975 MD2B. That died. I searched and found a used one locally, for 500. It was an easy in and out, which I did myself with the help of a small back hoe.

A new repower - cost aside - would have been a huge project in comparison (nearly everything related, would require replacement or re-configuration).

I'd say it was an 'average' used MD2B. It was reliable and slowish to start(as was the original, always). I was happy with it. It's probably still running 20 years later (I've lost track of the boat).

That was 20 years ago, The cost of a re-power would have equalled or exceeded the value of the boat. We used the boat with the replacement MD2B for a few years and then sold the boat for a little below the average value of that model. Had we installed new, I doubt we would have recouped more than 20% of the cost of a new repower. Today I think we'd be lucky to recoup 10% as the cost of marine labor/parts has rocketed and the value of used boats has plummeted.

When the engine in our present boat gave up the ghost I did the same thing but was lucky to find a replacement that runs like new.

It's a tough choice and depends completely upon finding a matching replacement you're confident in. In my opinion, the most important thing in an older boat at resale time is that it have a reliable, clean, well maintained and smooth running engine. The same condition sister ship with a new engine will likely sell first, but not for much more $.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
TowY - I can't agree with you more!

Basically why my first response was asking why couldn't he rebuild the one he has rather than buy another. These Volvo's are really simple to rebuild. But I have no idea if he has the ability/desire to do such a project. (The OP never answered that question.)

I had the single cylinder sister to that engine and rebuilt mine in my boat, for the most part, years ago. Of course components I had to take out and send to machine/diesel shops. It's actually not expensive to have the injectors rebuilt (at that time, but I think pretty much the same today). I had a replacement injector but I had both rebuilt. In short, rebuilding those motors is not difficult. Of course it does depend upon exactly what's wrong with them...

Then the OP posted "I am tired of it and I want a motor that I can count on ....a fresh start so to speak." Now you have me stuck. How does one achieve both of these constraints? A motor you can count on and a fresh start to me means a totally rebuilt engine or a new engine... But as you very aptly point out - you'll never get your money out of the new engine investment. You might actually be hard pressed to get your money out of a total rebuild, depending upon how much work needs doing.

dj